Wearing headphones and anti-sweat finger sleeves, gamers from eight countries guided gun-toting avatars through a battle royale in the Saudi Arabian capital, as cheering onlookers watched the action on a big screen.
The PUBG Mobile tournament was part of Gamers8, a summer festival spotlighting Saudi Arabia’s emergence as a global e-sports dynamo — one that officials hope can compete with powerhouses such as China and South Korea.
Much like with Formula One and professional golf, the world’s biggest oil exporter has in the past few years leveraged its immense wealth to assert itself on the e-sports stage, hosting glitzy conferences and snapping up established tournament organizers.
Photo: AFP
These moves have attracted the kind of criticism Saudi Arabian officials have come to expect, with some e-sports leaders objecting to Riyadh’s human rights record.
Yet the lack of long-term financing for e-sports makes the industry especially eager to do business with Saudi Arabia, which helps explain why the backlash so far has been relatively muted, analysts say.
Saudi Arabian gamers are reveling in their country’s newfound status and the eye-watering prize pools it brings.
“In the past, there was no support,” said 22-year-old Faisal Ghafiri, who competed in the PUBG Mobile tournament, which featured US$3 million in prize money.
“Thank God, now is the best time for me to play e-sports and participate in tournaments,” he said, adding that what was once a hobby had transformed into a lucrative “job.”
Saudi Arabia’s interest in gaming and e-sports comes from the very top, with Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman said to be an avid Call of Duty player.
The national e-sports federation was created in 2017, and the number of e-sports teams in the kingdom has since blossomed from two to more than 100.
Survey findings indicate 21 million people — nearly two-thirds of the national population — consider themselves gamers.
Last week, the prince released a national e-sports strategy that calls for the kingdom to create 39,000 e-sports-related jobs by 2030, while producing more than 30 games in domestic studios.
Gaming is also expected to be a major component of headline-grabbing development projects such as the Red Sea megacity NEOM, with its planned 170km-long twin skyscrapers known as The Line.
Yet NEOM is also where Saudi Arabia has encountered its biggest e-sports setback. Two years ago, Riot Games announced a partnership that would have made NEOM a sponsor of the European championship for the game League of Legends.
The outcry was immediate and intense, led by LGBTQ gamers who condemned Saudi Arabia’s prohibition of same-sex sexual acts, which can be a capital offense.
League of Legends is considered LGBTQ-friendly, having just last week named gay hip-hop star Lil Nas X as its honorary “president.”
Within 24 hours of its NEOM announcement, Riot Games backed out, and Danish tournament organizer BLAST terminated its deal with the megacity about two weeks later.
“Saudi Arabia’s reputation will always be a hindrance to the Western e-sports community, despite attempts to improve it,” said Jason Delestre of the University of Lille, who studies the geopolitics of e-sports.
Saudi Arabian officials are undeterred, and they have deep backing in the e-sports world.
“Gaming was always a bit more morally flexible, as they are mostly project-based and lack a sustainable business model,” said Tobias Scholz, an e-sports expert at the University of Siegen in Germany. “E-sports need the money compared to golf or others.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his