China’s export growth slowed significantly last month, customs authorities said yesterday, as economic uncertainty is exacerbated by strict COVID-19 lockdowns across the nation.
The weakness in trade comes as global demand for Chinese products weakens with energy prices soaring and the US facing the threat of recession.
At the same time the domestic property sector — which accounts for about one-quarter of the world’s second-largest economy — continues to struggle, with firms staggering under vast amounts of debt.
Photo: AFP
Overseas shipments in US dollar terms increased 7.1 percent year-on-year, the slowest pace since April when a lockdown in Shanghai disrupted shipping and far weaker than economists had predicted, China’s General Administration of Customs said, while imports were up only 0.3 percent, leaving a trade surplus of US$79.4 billion last month.
“The global economy is slowing down, particular with the troubles of what’s happening in Europe, so double-digit exports growth in the past is not sustainable,” Pinpoint Asset Management Ltd (保銀私募基金管理) chief economist Zhang Zhiwei (張智威) said.
Going forward, “single-digit export growth is more likely,” he said.
Sporadic COVID-19 lockdowns around China have dampened consumer enthusiasm and business confidence, while searing temperatures across large parts of the country this summer prompted power rationing for factories.
While officials have announced a range of measures aimed at bolstering the economy, commentators said that there would not likely be any concerted recovery until the tough COVID-19 measures are removed for good.
“As rising energy prices and monetary policy tightening hit US and Western European households, demand for Chinese manufacturing exports is cooling,” S&P Global Market Intelligence Asia-Pacific chief economist Rajiv Biswas said.
Biswas said he expected these factors to continue dampening Chinese exports for the rest of the year, while the country faces “continued weak domestic demand due to the ongoing impact of pandemic-related restrictive measures on consumer spending, as well as the residential construction slowdown.”
Chinese exports to the US declined 3.8 percent last month from a year earlier, the first contraction since May 2020.
Exports to the EU held up better, recording 11.1 percent growth, as China is supplying more energy-intensive goods like aluminum, which has become more costly to produce in Europe. Even so, the increase was still less than half the pace recorded the previous month.
Chinese exports to Russia surged 26.5 percent year-on-year, as Chinese brands filled a gap left by departing Western companies.
Exports to Taiwan contracted for the first time since January 2020, as China halted some trade in retaliation to the visit of US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
The latest figures “merely serve to underscore how weak domestic demand still is, and how far away that end of year GDP target of 5.5 percent is,” CMC Markets chief market analyst Michael Hewson said.
Net exports accounted for about one-fifth of China’s GDP growth last year. Economists are predicting GDP would expand just 3.5 percent this year.
A smaller trade surplus going forward would also weigh on the currency, which has slumped this year and is close to breaching 7 yuan to the US dollar. The People’s Bank of China has taken several steps recently to slow the yuan’s depreciation, and yesterday set its reference rate for the currency at the strongest bias on record.
Additional reporting by Bloomberg
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his