Nvidia Corp said it has been given licenses to provide support to US customers in China and to allow it to complete development work there on its artificial-intelligence chips, a small concession in Washington’s latest push to shut off that country’s access to advanced technology.
The US government has authorized the company to “perform exports needed to provide support for US customers of A100 through March 1, 2023,” a company filing on Thursday said.
Nvidia has also been granted permission to transfer necessary technology to China for the development of its upcoming H100 products. These exports are authorized to be conducted through the US chipmaker’s Hong Kong facility through Sept. 1 next year, it said.
Photo: AFP
The statement did little to assuage concerns laid out in Nvidia’s warning on Wednesday that the restrictions might cost it US$400 million in revenue this quarter. The time limitations laid out in Thursday’s filing reflect the US government’s determination to clamp down on access to technology it deems could be misused for military purposes.
For Nvidia, which relies on China for about one-quarter of its revenue, the temporary easing likely does not allow it to sell the chips to some of the biggest buyers of that type of technology — Chinese hyperscalers, companies that operate the biggest data centers full of server chips.
What the easing does do is crucially allow it to use Chinese engineers and operations to complete development of its H100 chip, its latest piece of technology for the market.
“If Nvidia is unable to complete H100 development, the knock-on effects would likely be much larger than the direct revenue exposure in the current quarter,” Cowen & Co analyst Matt Ramsay wrote in a report.
“We are working with our customers in China to satisfy their planned or future purchases with alternative products and may seek licenses where replacements aren’t sufficient,” the company said on Wednesday. “The only current products that the new licensing requirement applies to are A100, H100 and systems such as DGX that include them.”
US companies are under increasing government scrutiny over their dealings with China, the largest market for semiconductors, amid a growing rivalry between the world’s two largest economies.
The US is trying to limit China’s access to technology, saying Beijing represents a security risk. China, in turn, is trying to build its own domestic capabilities to make itself less dependent on the US, which still dominates the design and development of the crucial technology.
Advanced Micro Devices Inc on Wednesday said that it received a similar notice from the government, although it does not expect a significant impact.
“At this time, we do not believe that shipments of MI100 integrated circuits are impacted by the new requirements,” the company said in a separate statement.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his