Pfizer Inc is close to an agreement to buy Medivation Inc for about US$14 billion, people familiar with the situation said, the latest in a long run of blockbuster deals in the drug and biotechnology industries.
The deal could be announced as early as Monday next week, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the matter is still private. The biotech company’s shares closed at US$67.16 on Friday, giving it a market value of US$11.1 billion.
By acquiring Medivation, Pfizer would gain a blockbuster prostate-cancer treatment, Xtandi, that is already approved for sale in the US and elsewhere and that analysts project will generate US$1.33 billion in annual sales by 2020.
Photo: Bloomberg
Pfizer chief executive officer Ian Read said in May that he was more interested in acquiring late-stage assets because the company already had plenty of early-stage drugs in the works.
Pfizer spokeswoman Joan Campion declined to comment.
Medivation representatives did not immediately respond to telephone calls and e-mails requesting comment.
Pfizer has been relying on new branded treatments, including cancer drugs, to boost revenue, as sales of older medicines have slowed. In August, the New York-based company reported earnings that beat expectations after sales of breast cancer treatment Ibrance were better than analysts’ estimates.
A US$14 billion purchase of Medivation would be Pfizer’s biggest deal since buying Hospira Inc for about US$17 billion last year and the company is a rare prize.
As oncology becomes one of the hottest areas in drug development, large drug and biotechnology firms have found only a few mid-sized targets with revenue-generating, approved treatments.
Though Xtandi is a blockbuster, Pfizer will split US sales with Tokyo-based Astellas Pharma Inc, which partnered with Medivation on the drug.
Medivation also comes with two experimental products: a drug for breast cancer and another for the blood cancer lymphoma. The breast cancer drug belongs to a class of treatments known as PARP inhibitors, which disrupt cancer cells’ process of DNA repair.
The drug, talazoparib, could well be the most potent medicine in the PARP class, according to Katherine Xu, an analyst at William Blair & Co in New York, who estimates annual peak sales could reach US$3 billion.
By spurning Sanofi’s initial offer, valued at about US$9 billion, Medivation was able to bring in more potential suitors and drive up the bidding.
Gilead Sciences Inc, Celgene Corp and Amgen Inc were among the other drugmakers reported to consider the deal.
Medivation previously rejected French drugmaker Sanofi’s offer of US$58 a share, plus a contingent value right valued at a maximum of US$3 a share. The Financial Times reported earlier on Sunday that the Pfizer agreement was imminent.
The deal is a blow to Sanofi’s cancer ambitions. It has spent five months both courting and pressuring Medivation to reach a takeover agreement.
Sanofi chief executive officer Olivier Brandicourt might have pushed his case too aggressively. After Sanofi’s initial offer of US$52.50 a share was spurned, the Paris-based drugmaker chose to go straight to Medivation investors, seeking their support to oust the board.
Medivation warned of a “devil’s bargain” that would usher in new directors who might settle for a takeover price that was not in shareholders’ interest. Sanofi dropped the hostility last month as Medivation agreed to enter into confidentiality agreements.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his