China’s largest video-on-demand provider, iQiyi (愛奇藝), a subsidiary of Internet search engine Baidu Inc (百度), yesterday launched its online video-streaming services in Taiwan.
iQiyi is not the first foreign over-the-top (OTT) service provider that plans to gain a foothold in Taiwan, as Taiwanese consumers are spending more time watching online video streaming than the global average.
In January, the US’ biggest online video-on-demand provider Netflix Inc launched its services in Taiwan as part of its expansion to Asia.
French online video-on-demand provider Dailymotion SA is following suit and is scheduled to launch its services in Taiwan tomorrow.
Taiwanese spent 7.8 hours per week watching video-on-demand on the Internet, 1.8 hours higher than the global average, according to an Ericsson report issued in November last year.
“Taiwan is our first market outside China,” iQiyi founder and chief executive officer Gong Yu (龔宇) told a press conference in Taipei yesterday.
“For iQiyi, Taiwan is the second-biggest Chinese-speaking market other than China as our big data analysis shows,” Gong said.
To provide localized content, the Beijing-based company plans to deepen its collaboration with Taiwanese talent, movie directors and producers to create original content for Chinese-speaking subscribers, Gong said.
iQiyi operates 11 categories of video-on-demand content including movies, soap operas, animation, documentaries and original programs produced by iQiyi. In total, the company offers 125 soap operas made in Taiwan, 80 variety shows from Taiwan and more than 2,000 Hollywood movies.
Subscribers will be able to access iQiyi’s videos on the company’s Web sites via computers or through the company’s mobile application, the company said, adding that it is preparing to deliver its content on tablet devices as well.
Last week, movie distributor and producer Catchplay Inc (威望國際) expanded to the OTT market by launching its video-on-demand service.
The company said the service is streaming content from NBC Universal, Warner Brothers Entertainment and independent studios.
Catchplay said it plans to expand to Singapore and Indonesia soon.
Local telecom companies are also gearing up for providing OTT services. Far EasTone Telecommunications Co (遠傳電信) plans to spend as much as NT$20 million (US$611,714) this year to acquire the rights to English-language movies, as well as Chinese, South Korean and Japanese soap operas.
The budget is 50 percent higher than last year, Far EasTone said, while expecting its OTT subscribers to increase to 500,000 this year.
Far EasTone president Yvonne Li (李彬) said that she considers iQiyi to be a serious competitor, as they have similar target demographics.
Chunghwa Telecom Co (中華電信) said it aims to grow its streaming video-on-demand subscribers to 700,000 this year from last year’s 520,000.
The company aims to have 210,000 subscribers to its OTT services by the end of this year.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort