China is to combine more of its biggest state-owned enterprises as part of a sweeping plan to cut overcapacity in the US$18 trillion sector but would not see the widespread layoffs that accompanied a similar overhaul in the 1990s, a senior regulator said.
Reform of China’s state-owned enterprises must balance many interests, especially those of employees, China’s State-Owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission Chairman Xiao Yaqing (肖亞慶) told a briefing in Beijing on Saturday.
Big state-owned enterprises will be made stronger while duplication will be eliminated, he said.
Photo: EPA
“We are in the business of growing bigger and better,” Xiao said at the briefing, held on the sidelines of China’s annual legislative session.
He said that reform is split into two tracks: Cut overcapacity in some industries while capturing growth in others like aerospace, nuclear power, high speed rail, smart grid technology and renewable energy.
Xiao’s remarks come as economic growth slows in China and state-owned companies have become plagued by overcapacity and inefficiency.
Last year, the number of enterprises administered by Xiao’s regulator dropped from 112 to 106, with high-profile mergers by China Ocean Shipping Group (中遠集團) and China Shipping Group (中海集團), as well as two trainmakers.
Xiao said the consolidation that occurred last year was going “not too bad,” and more can be expected this year.
Xiao said China will not see the sort of layoffs recorded in the last major round of state-owned enterprises reform in the 1990s, when about 60,000 firms were closed and 40 million workers lost their jobs.
This time, China has announced plans for 1.8 million job losses in the coal and steel sectors. Even so, not all workers in “old economy” industries such as coal and steel have skills that are transferable elsewhere. China’s economy slowdown has fanned jitters and broader panic as the growth sinks to its lowest in two decades.
“The economic slowdown is within expectations, but what has exceeded our expectations is the panic,” Xiao said. “Panic is more frightful than the downturn — it might worsen the downturn.”
In December last year, China set a two-year deadline for money-losing enterprises owned by the central government to improve their performance, with firms that suffer losses for three straight years liable to be shut down.
Among those companies targeted for mergers could be the airline sector.
Separately, China’s judicial authorities vowed to do more to combat financial crimes in the coming year, as the economy slows and leaders remain concerned that financial risks might lead to higher unemployment and social unrest.
Chief prosecutor Cao Jianming (曹建明) yesterday said in his annual report to the nation’s top legislature that his department would prioritize investigations into finance, securities and insurance to “guarantee a healthy development of capital market.”
The Supreme People’s Procuratorate, China’s top prosecuting body, plans to tackle financial crimes involving illegal fundraising to protect the public and focus on contract fraud crimes to establish a “fair and orderly environment of market competition,” he said.
Supreme People’s Court President Zhou Qiang (周強) said in a separate report to the Chinese National People’s Congress in Beijing that the top court would strengthen oversight of financial crimes involving the Internet.
Chinese courts last year handled 1.4 million cases involving peer-to-peer lending worth 821 billion yuan (US$126 billion), Zhou said.
More than 72,000 people were convicted for crimes involving illegal fundraising and peer-to-peer lending.
Regulators have also targeted the booming online loan industry by investigating one of the largest peer-to-peer brokers, Ezubao (e租寶).
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort