Focus Media Holding Ltd (分眾傳媒), a Chinese advertising company targeted by short-seller Carson Block, received a bid from private-equity firms, including Carlyle Group LP, in what would be the country’s largest leveraged buyout.
The bidders made a “non-binding” offer of US$27 for each American depositary receipts (ADR), the Shanghai-based company said on Monday in a statement. The offer is 15 percent more than Focus’ closing price on Friday and above the level when Block’s Muddy Waters LLC began targeting it in November.
The bidders, which include Citic Capital Partners (中信資本) and Focus Media chief executive officer Jason Nanchun Jiang (江南春), made the proposal that values the company at US$3.5 billion. A successful deal would see the advertising group join Chinese companies such as Fushi Copperweld Inc (傅氏國際) and Winner Medical Group Inc (穩健醫療) in backing moves to go private after short sellers raised accounting and corporate governance concerns.
The offer “is another example of how Chinese are taking more and more of their companies private,” Sachin Shah, a Jersey City, New Jersey-based special-situations and merger-arbitrage strategist at Tullett Prebon PLC, said by telephone. “The US market isn’t properly valuing them and doesn’t know if the offer price is right, allowing the management of the companies to possibly win in getting the assets at lower valuations.”
Focus Media’s ADR climbed 8.9 percent to US$25.45 on Monday after jumping 7.6 percent on Friday. The company has about 129.3 million ADRs outstanding.
Focus Media’s bullish options trading jumped to the highest level since November on Friday. More than 29,000 calls to buy the stock changed hands, five times the four-week average, compared with 7,635 for puts to sell.
Focus Media traded at US$25.50 on Nov. 18. last year, before Muddy Waters recommended betting against the stock. The stock plunged as much as 66 percent the next trading day after Block’s firm issued a strong sell recommendation. Muddy Waters in February issued a fifth report that said Focus Media overstated its ad network.
In addition to Citic Capital and Washington-based Carlyle, the bidders for Focus Media include FountainVest Partners (方源資本), CDH Investments (鼎暉投資) and China Everbright Ltd (光大控股), the company said in the statement. Jiang is Focus Media’s biggest shareholder with a stake of about 18 percent, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.
“Focus Media is very dominant in the public-display advertising space in China and has geographically diversified itself throughout China’s big cities,” said Timothy Ghriskey, chief investment officer of Solaris Group LLC, a New York-based firm that sold its stake in the company a year ago. “The PE [private-equity] firms are seeing a bargain here.”
“The company’s board of directors has formed a committee of independent directors to consider the proposed transaction,” Focus Media said in the statement.
The investor group plans to use a combination of debt and equity to finance the purchase.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his