More than 80 years after Mickey Mouse piloted Steamboat Willie and whistled his way into the hearts of children across the world, he has finally reached the shores of Hawaii.
Walt Disney Co on Friday gave a peek of its sprawling, beachside Hawaiian resort that is under construction and scheduled to open next year.
“Aulani” is Disney’s first major stand-alone resort away from a theme park and could serve as a model for future projects as the company diversifies and expands its vacation offerings.
“This is a very special project for us,” said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “It’s unlike anything that Disney has done before; at the same time, it’s very like many of the things we do.”
Aulani will have 359 hotel rooms, 481 time-share units, restaurants, convention center, a 1,394m² spa and massive water play area that includes a volcano tube slide and snorkel lagoon.
It sits on 8.5 hectares on Oahu’s Leeward Coast in the Ko Olina development, known for its white-sand lagoons, scenic golf course and colorful sunsets. Ko Olina is about an hour west of Waikiki, where most of the hotels and tourists are.
Jim Lewis, president of Disney’s time-share component, said Hawaii makes “perfect sense” with its rich culture, traditions, warm greetings, family values, friendships and story-telling.
“Those are also terms synonymous with Disney,” he said. “And by the way, Hawaii also happens to be one of the most popular vacation destinations on the planet, and that’s the business that we’re in.”
Most of the resort is currently a jungle of concrete, steel, wires and pipes with no Mickey and Minnie in sight. Aulani is scheduled to open on Aug. 29 next year, with hotel reservations to begin next month. Time-share sales started three weeks ago.
With the construction phase alone costing more than US$600 million, Aulani represents a huge investment for Disney amid a sharp tourism downturn.
Staggs, who previously served as Disney’s chief financial officer, wouldn’t comment on the final cost.
“Are we nervous about this investment right now given this economy? The answer is we really aren’t,” he said. “We really do have a fundamental belief in this location and Hawaii in general.”
Staggs called the project “a tremendous opportunity,” giving Disney a permanent presence in the islands.
He wouldn’t say what other areas Disney was considering because “right now, our focus is right here and making sure we get this right.”
According to an economic impact study commissioned by Disney, Aulani is expected to generate 4,800 jobs during construction. When completed, 2,400 jobs will be created, with about half working at the resort. More than US$271 million annually in economic activity will be generated.
The largest units at Aulani are three-bedroom “Grand Villas” — 214m² timeshare units that are larger than most Hawaii homes, sleep 12 and have sweeping views of the Pacific.
All the hotel and timeshare units have more of a traditional Hawaiian flair with touches of Disney that generally are subtle — other than the surfer Mickey lamp in each room.
While this may be Disney’s first big push into Hawaii, the company has had a long and growing relationship with Hawaii. One of the most notable is the animated film Lilo & Stitch, the centerpiece of a US$1.7 million marketing deal between Hawaii and Disney.
Other projects have included the 2001 film Pearl Harbor and ABC’s castaway drama Lost, which filmed here for six seasons.
ABC is owned by Disney. In addition, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides began shooting here this summer.
“We couldn’t find a more perfect place in putting a resort like this,” Staggs said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his