Mongolia sealed a long-awaited multibillion-dollar deal with Ivanhoe Mines of Canada and Anglo-Australian miner Rio Tinto yesterday to develop one of the world’s richest copper deposits.
The deal to exploit the Oyu Tolgoi mine was signed by the three parties in a ceremony in the capital Ulan Bator, marking one of the biggest investments in Mongolia since the former Soviet satellite went capitalist two decades ago.
No figure was immediately given for the size of the deal, which was six years in the making, but Mongolia’s minister for mineral resources and energy Dashdorj Zorigt said last month that it was worth US$4 billion.
“This is a significant milestone and we now look forward to working together to develop what I firmly believe is the best undeveloped copper deposit in the world,” Bret Clayton, chief executive of Rio’s Copper and Diamonds group, said in a statement released at the signing.
It said the Mongolian government would own a 34 percent stake in Ivanhoe Mines Mongolia LLC, the project license holder.
The mine in the south Gobi desert will employ as many as 3,000 workers, with thousands more finding jobs along the supply chain, providing a significant boost to the economy of the resource-rich country, one of the poorest in Asia.
Oyu Tolgoi, located about 80km north of the Chinese border, is expected to produce 450,000 tonnes of copper and 330,000 ounces of gold annually over 35 years, Rio Tinto’s statement said.
Mongolia’s GDP — US$5.26 billion last year, World Bank figures show — is expected to increase 34.3 percent over the life of the mine, a 2005 project plan said.
Ivanhoe said it would release an updated plan and financial details after the signing ceremony.
Zorigt, the mineral resource minister, had previously estimated the project could boost Mongolia’s per capita GDP, at about US$1,800 last year, to US$15,000 by 2015.
The deal’s signing comes more than nine years after Ivanhoe started exploration at the Oyu Tolgoi site and six years after it was awarded mining licenses.
Talks had dragged on as Mongolia and Ivanhoe haggled over how big a share the government should take.
Ivanhoe eventually agreed to give the government the 34 percent equity interest and the deal cleared the final hurdle in August when Ulan Bator agreed to scrap a 68 percent windfall tax on copper and gold sales.
Analysts said the deal would provide a “blueprint” for foreign investors wanting to access Mongolia’s rich deposits of copper, gold, uranium, silver and oil.
“This is a pathfinder transaction,” said James McGlew, a senior dealer at Argonaut Securities in Australia. “Hopefully this is the blueprint on how they will develop this part of the economy.”
Rio said it made an initial US$303 million investment for a 9.95 percent stake in Ivanhoe Mines Ltd and has “the obligation to invest 388 million dollars for a further 9.95 percent stake.”
Rio has the option to increase its stake in Ivanhoe Mines to 46.65 percent through fixed-price options and on-market purchases.
It said production was expected to start as early as 2013 with “a five-year ramp-up to full production.”
The Oyu Tolgoi deal is the first of several big contracts the government is hoping to sign.
Next in the pipeline is Tavan Tolgoi, which is said to be the largest untapped coal field in the world. Mining companies and consortiums from Russia, China, South Korea and the US have submitted bids for the project.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats