Parties to a case in which Chevron is accused of being responsible for environmental damage in Ecuador’s Amazon rainforest are regrouping ahead of a potential verdict that could involve record compensation.
The US company faces claims it is responsible for damage caused by oil extraction between 1964 and 1990 by Texaco, a company that Chevron bought in 2001.
Chevron has denied the charges in the long-running case and has made its own allegations of corruption against Judge Juan Nunez, who is overseeing the procedures.
The oil giant on Tuesday posted on its Website a video it says shows members of Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa’s Alianza Pais party promising a US$3 million “commission” to Nunez once he hands down a verdict against Chevron.
The videos provoked a firestorm and rebuttals by government officials, and prompted Nunez on Thursday to offer to recuse himself from the case.
Chevron’s release of the footage, shot on hidden cameras, came shortly before Nunez was expected to announce his verdict on the case next month.
The stakes are high, with experts estimating last year that Chevron could be liable for damages of up to US$27 billion.
If correct, the figure would be significantly higher than the record US$5 billion, later reduced to US$500 million, that ExxonMobil was ordered to pay after an oil spill in Alaska.
The case comes against the backdrop of increasingly tense relations between Ecuador’s left-leaning president and foreign oil companies in the country, who are reassessing their operations.
In 2007, shortly after taking office, Correa did not hesitate to characterize Texaco’s actions in Ecuador as a “crime against humanity,” suggesting that “entire villages in the Amazon” have been wiped out as a result of their environmental damage.
The indigenous communities who first filed the case said they would continue to pursue Chevron, even seeking to have the company’s US assets seized, if the court does not rule in their favor.
Ecuador’s government on Wednesday denied allegations of impropriety, and said Chevron’s accusations were intended solely to “put pressure on the judge.”
Nunez told Ecuadoran radio station Sonorama that he had “handed over the proceedings to the president [of the court] so that decisions can be made ... without concerns about transparency.”
He told reporters that he offered to recuse himself “because of the accusations I am facing.”
“In four years, there have been four judges in charge of this case, and I am the fifth,” he said.
If Nunez is removed a final verdict would be delayed further while a replacement judge is found.
Pablo Fajardo, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, told reporters that Nunez’s resignation could be a “small victory” for Chevron because of the delays it is likely to cause.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary