South Korea yesterday announced a record 28.9 trillion won (US$20.9 billion) extra budget aimed at pulling the country back from the brink of its first recession in 11 years.
The Strategy and Finance Ministry said the budget — twice the size of extra spending during the 1998 Asian economic crisis — will save and create jobs, support small businesses, invest in new growth engines and help the poor and the jobless.
The ministry said in a statement that the budget, to be submitted to parliament this month, “puts priority on overcoming the economic crisis early.”
The export-driven economy has been hard hit by the global slump as overseas markets shrink. It declined 5.6 percent quarter-on-quarter in October to December, the steepest fall since 1998.
South Korean Finance Minister Yoon Jeung-hyun has said the economy will likely contract 2 percent this year and lose 200,000 jobs, while many private researchers expect a much steeper downturn.
The extra spending is equivalent to about 2 percent of GDP. It is expected to boost growth by 1.5 percentage points, the ministry said.
“The global economic downturn is taking place at a faster pace than expected in terms of its depth and breadth,” Yoon told reporters after the Cabinet approved the extra spending.
“Reflecting changed economic conditions at home and abroad, the government decided to draw up this extra budget to overcome the current crisis as quickly as possible,” he said.
Some 3.5 trillion won will be used to save and create jobs, including job-sharing schemes, the ministry said. The aim is to create 552,000 jobs in addition to those saved.
The number of people employed fell last month by 142,000 year-on-year, the largest reduction since September 2003.
Some 4.5 trillion won will go to support small and medium-size firms.
The budget sets aside 3 trillion won to reinvigorate the regional economy. Some 2.5 trillion will be invested in improving advanced education and in new growth engines — such as the government’s “green new deal” spending on environmentally friendly technology and projects.
The sum of 4.2 trillion won has been set aside to help low-income and jobless people.
The new spending totals 17.7 trillion won. The remaining 11.2 trillion won will largely be used to fund previously announced projects and tax cuts.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats