“Please forgive us,” a group of Chinese dairy firms said in a New Year text message sent to millions of mobile phone subscribers.
The 22 dairy firms, led by the now-bankrupt Sanlu (三鹿), apologized and asked forgiveness for the contamination of their products by melamine, which killed at least six babies and made 290,000 ill.
Melamine, an industrial compound used in plastic and fertilizer, was added to milk to cheat protein tests.
PHOTO: AP
The chairwoman of Sanlu, Tian Wenhua (田文華), and three other company executives are on trial at a court in northern China for the contamination. Tian is expected to be sentenced to life imprisonment, although the verdict may not be reached for several weeks, the Beijing News said yesterday.
“We are deeply sorry for the harm caused to the children and society,” the text message read. “We sincerely apologize for that and we beg your forgiveness.”
Another 17 people involved in producing, selling, buying and adding melamine in raw milk have gone on trial in the last week.
Sanlu said it discovered the problem and reported it to local authorities in Hebei Province on Aug. 2, just days before the Olympic Games began in Beijing.
But nothing became public until early September, when the New Zealand government said it brought complaints by Sanlu’s partner, Fonterra, to the attention of the Chinese government.
Meanwhile, clusters of babies ill with kidney stones had cropped up in Chinese hospitals.
“If we were in Europe or another country, it wouldn’t be a question of apologies, it would be a question of legal responsibility,” Beijinger Shi Zhiqing said.
Meanwhile, Fonterra has rejected claims the former head of its Chinese joint venture pleaded guilty to charges related to the tainted milk scandal, reports said yesterday.
Tian had “absolutely and unequivocally” pleaded not guilty in a Chinese court to the charges, a Fonterra spokesman told the New Zealand Herald.
The verdicts have yet to be delivered, but Fonterra chief executive Andrew Ferrier said he would be saddened if Tian were convicted, let alone executed.
“She seemed to live and breathe Sanlu,” Ferrier said. “She only wanted the best for Sanlu and it would be very sad if she’s found guilty of any crimes.”
Fonterra, which wrote off its 43 percent shareholding in Sanlu for a loss of NZ$201 million (US$114 million), was not represented at the one-day court hearing.
However, the Fonterra spokesman told the Herald he received assurances about Tian’s not pleading guilty while making inquiries in Asia at Ferrier’s request.
Chinese authorities have made no attempt to press charges against Fonterra. Even so, Ferrier said Fonterra wanted the Sanlu affair resolved before it would re-invest in China.
“It is our intention to re-invest in China at an appropriate time, providing we have enough comfort and control in the supply chain,” Ferrier said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats