French bank Caisse d’Epargne, which has lost around 600 million euros (US810 million) in derivatives trading, was to hold a meeting yesterday to decide the fate of its management, sources said.
“There will be a vote of confidence on whether to keep management or not,” a source close to the bank said, adding that the supervisory board would meet at 3pm.
Another source said several members of the supervisory panel were determined to demand the departure of Charles Milhaud, the president of the group’s executive board. His mandate expires late next year.
The executive board also includes director general Nicolas Merindol, risk and finance head Julien Carmona, human resources chief Guy Cotret and development director Alain Lacroix.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy warned that bank chiefs must “bear the consequences” after Caisse d’Epargne revealed on Friday that it had lost more than half a billion euros in a derivatives trading “incident” the prior week.
The bank said it had sanctioned those responsible and notified regulators.
“A team of five or six people went beyond management orders,” a spokesman for Caisse d’Epargne said.
A financial director has been suspended, while the other employees involved are “not currently working,” he said.
The bank had decided in June to gradually shut down trading for its own account by February because the risks were considered too great. This process will now be speeded up and should be completed within days, the spokesman said.
The loss comes at a delicate moment for the banks and the government, which this week put in place a 360 billion euros rescue plan aimed at unblocking credit markets and ensuring the nation’s banks do not collapse.
It is part of an unprecedented weekend decision by the 15 nations sharing the euro currency to unblock frozen credit markets after last week’s tailspin on global stock exchanges.
The money includes 320 billion euros in guarantees for bonds and other loans that banks take out. If the banks make good on that debt, then the French government — and by extension, taxpayers — will not have to pay anything, officials say.
The other 40 billion euros will go to a government-backed agency to provide banks with extra capital. That part of the plan also allows the government to take stakes in troubled banks that get state capital.
Caisse d’Epargne and another French mutual bank, Banque Populaire, announced plans last week to merge. The tie-up would make the combined company one of France’s biggest banking groups, with a total of 480 billion euro in savings deposits and more than 6 million customers.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats