World oil prices rose by more than US$1 in Asian trading yesterday after Hurricane Gustav forced the shutdown of almost all oil production in the Gulf of Mexico.
New York’s main contract, light sweet crude for delivery in October, rose US$1.17 to US$116.63 a barrel from its close of US$115.46 on Friday at the New York Mercantile Exchange. Brent North Sea crude for October gained US$1.04 to US$115.09 from US$114.05 in London on Friday.
About one-quarter of US oil production comes from the Gulf, but US officials said on Sunday that more than 96 percent of Gulf oil production and 82 percent of natural gas output had been stopped in the face of the storm.
“It’s all about Gustav,” said Tony Nunan of Mitsubishi Corp’s international petroleum business in Tokyo.
Heavy winds and rains began battering the Gulf Coast yesterday, although the eye of the storm was not expected to make official landfall until later in the day.
Nunan said price gains had been limited because of underlying worries about a global economic slowdown and falling demand for oil.
World oil prices have sunk from record highs above US$147 a barrel in early July after surging from US$100 at the start of the year.
Monday’s rise of about US$1 was “not really that much,” Nunan said, adding that trading would be thin because the US markets were shut for the Labor Day holiday yesterday.
If oil facilities survive the storm undamaged, the oil price could continue its trend down. But damage on the scale of Hurricane Katrina three years ago could generate a price surge to US$120, Nunan said.
The threat of Gustav raised grim memories of the 2005 hurricanes Katrina and Rita that damaged or destroyed about 165 of around 4,000 oil platforms in the Gulf.
US energy giant ExxonMobil said on Sunday it had completed storm preparations for its Gulf Coast oil and gas operations. Workers on offshore platforms had been evacuated, the company said.
“We are also releasing personnel from onshore facilities anticipated to be in or near the path of the storm,” it said in a statement, adding the company expected to continue supplying its customers.
One of ExxonMobil’s refineries, in Chalmette, Louisiana, was being shut down, but Exxon’s other refineries and chemical plants on the Gulf Coast remained in operation as of Sunday, the company said.
Shell, in addition to its offshore facilities, was also shutting a number of its coastal refineries and chemical plants while putting others on standby.
British oil group BP and US rival ConocoPhillips also evacuated offshore workers.
Oil industry analyst Andy Lipow, based in Houston, Texas, said there would be a supply disruption, “but how quickly can the industry recover is going to be the key.”
Lipow said the oil industry was now better prepared for storms, both with offshore and onshore facilities.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats