European regulators charged that US chipmaker Intel used coercion and bribery to unfairly gain market advantage in Europe late on Thursday.
The European Commission said that it had sent another so-called “statement of objections” to Intel alleging it has tried to exclude its leading competitor, Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD), from the x86 central processing unit (CPU) market.
The action follows a similar warning sent to the company in July last year.
Without naming other companies involved, regulators said in a statement they had reached a “preliminary conclusion” that Intel has engaged in another three types of “abusive conduct.”
The commission said Intel had provided “substantial rebates to a leading European personal computer retailer” to sell only Intel-based PCs. It had paid bribes to a manufacturer to delay the launch of a product using AMD products and also paid “substantial rebates” to the same company conditional on its buying all of its CPU units from California-based Intel.
The European Commission gave Intel eight weeks to reply and attend an oral hearing, and reserved the right to levy fines. It said each charge in and of itself was serious, but taken together they “reinforce each other and are part of a single overall anti-competitive strategy aimed at excluding AMD or limiting its access to the market.”
Intel said it was disappointed by the new charges, adding it believed the commission supported AMD’s position. It said it has always conducted itself legally and with a sense of fair competition.
Intel said the rebates gave lower prices to consumers and it was convinced it could rebut the Commission’s charges as unfounded.
Separately, AMD replaced its chief executive Hector Ruiz on Thursday, appointing its president and chief operating officer Dirk Meyer in his place.
The move was announced as AMD, which has struggled in recent years to compete with sector leader Intel, reported a loss of US$1.2 billion on the quarter. AMD’s revenue rose to US$1.35 billion from US$1.31 billion, but it was short of the US$1.45 billion expected by Wall Street.
AMD shares were down US$0.20, or 3.8 percent, to US$5.10 in after-hours trading. AMD’s stock was above US$40 as recently as 2006 and the resulting fall has vaporized US$20 billion in shareholder wealth.
Ruiz, 62, had been chief executive since 2002 and will continue to serve as executive chairman, focusing on a previously announced plan to develop a new manufacturing strategy that is expected to reduce costs. Ruiz had been one of the few Hispanic chief executive’s of a top US company.
Under his tenure, AMD rose to present its greatest challenge to Intel when it launched the Opteron line of chips in 2003. But delays in introducing the chip’s successors and a bad US$5.6 billion purchase of graphics chip maker ATI Technologies hit the company’s cash flow and profits, forcing it to sell an 8.1 percent stake to the Abu Dhabi government’s investment arm last November.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats