The Internet giant Google is being forced to hand over the personal information of every person who has ever watched a video on YouTube as part of a billion-dollar court case in the US.
A judge in New York has ordered that Google, which owns YouTube, must pass on the details of more than 100 million people to Viacom, the US broadcasting company that owns channels including MTV and Nickelodeon.
The data will include unique Internet addresses, e-mail accounts and the history of every video watched on the Web site, giving Viacom’s experts the ability to conduct a detailed examination of the viewing habits of millions of people around the world.
The decision is the latest twist in a long court battle between the two companies over claims that Google encourages copyright infringement on the video sharing Web site. Judge Louis Stanton, who is presiding over the US$1 billion lawsuit, said the data handover was required in order to allow Viacom to build its case.
Google’s lawyers had argued that the cost of producing complete logs of YouTube’s viewers would be prohibitive. But that line of reasoning was rejected by the court, which said that concerns over privacy were speculative.
“While the logging database is large, all of its content can be copied on to a few ‘over-the-shelf’ hard drives,” Stanton wrote in a 25-page adjudication.
While information on who has watched YouTube’s countless videos of sneezing pandas and laughing babies may seem trivial, civil liberties campaigners fear the ruling could set a precedent for the level of privacy afforded to people using the Internet, and that Internet companies could now be sued in order to get hold of sensitive personal data.
“The court’s erroneous ruling is a setback to privacy rights,” said Kurt Opsahl, a lawyer for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, an online civil liberties group based in San Francisco. “We urge Viacom to back off this overbroad request and Google to take all steps necessary to challenge this order and protect the rights of its users.”
YouTube, which was founded in California in 2005, was bought by Google just a year later for US$1.65 billion and has since become the biggest video site on the Web. It has an estimated 72 million users in the US alone, and its videos are watched more than 2.5 billion times each month.
The site is used by a number of broadcasters, including the BBC, as an outlet for their videos and clips — but a number of rivals claim that YouTube is a hotbed of piracy and encourages people to upload copyrighted television shows. Although Google has brought in a series of systems to help with the removal of illegal material from the site, Viacom argued that it does not go far enough and launched its court action in March last year.
The court’s decision also means that Viacom has succeeded in getting hold of exactly the same sort information that the US government has failed to access in the past.
In 2006, the US department of justice asked Google to reveal information on millions of Web searches conducted on its Web site, as part of a wide-ranging investigation into illegal activity online. Google challenged the order and successfully fought it off in court, arguing that such a move would invade users’ privacy and expose commercially sensitive information.
In a statement on Thursday, Google said it would lobby for the data it provides to be scrubbed clean of personal information.
“We are disappointed the court granted Viacom’s overreaching demand for viewing history. We will ask Viacom to respect users’ privacy and allow us to anonymize the logs before producing them under the court’s order,” it said.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary