A discovery off Brazil’s Atlantic coast could prove to be the world’s third-largest oil field, the director of Brazil’s National Oil Agency said.
The Carioca field in the Santos Basin off the coast of Sao Paulo state has estimated reserves of 33 billion barrels, Haroldo Lima said on Monday.
“It could be the world’s biggest discovery in the past 30 years,” he said.
Brazil’s state oil company, Petrobras, which controls 45 percent of the field, said in a statement that the exact size of the find would be announced in the coming days after further studies were done.
PROFITABLE?
Petrobras engineers said they could not yet say whether extraction would be profitable.
Nevertheless, Petrobras stock rose 5.6 percent, closing at 82.97 reals (US$49.18), after surging as high as 7.7 percent in Sao Paulo.
Lima said that while his information was from Petrobras, it was “unofficial.” Brazilian Energy Minister Edison Labao advised waiting for the official disclosure.
If Lima’s estimates are correct, however, Carioca would rank behind Saudi Arabia’s Ghawar oil field and Kuwait’s Burgan field in size.
Carioca lies about 5,000m deep under a thick layer of salt. The remaining interests in the field are held by British Gas at 30 percent and Spain’s Repsol at 25 percent.
FOUR TIMES LARGER
If Lima’s announcement proves correct, Carioca would be at least four times larger that the Tupi field discovered in November, also in the Santos Basin.
That field, of which Petrobras holds 65 percent, is believed to have oil and gas reserves of 5 billion to 8 billion barrels. Extraction could begin at the earliest there in four or five years, experts said.
Petrobras’ production is 1.9 million barrels per day, while its estimated reserves are 13 billion barrels.
Brazil ranks 17th among the countries with the largest oil reserves.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats