Passengers flying between Europe and the US should get more choice and cheaper tickets if all goes as officials plan under a new EU-US aviation pact taking effect yesterday.
After more than four years of often tense negotiations, hopes are high that the new "open skies" agreement will usher in a new era of transatlantic travel.
"This marks the start of a new era in transatlantic aviation," said EU Transport Commissioner Jacques Barrot. "This agreement will bring more competition and cheaper flights."
The EU estimates that the accord could provide a major boost to transatlantic air traffic with more than 26 million extra passengers expected over the next five years.
Meanwhile, the deal is estimated to deliver benefits worth 12 billion euros (US$19 billion) for consumers and create 80,000 new jobs in the EU and the US combined.
The pact is supposed to meet those high ambitions by replacing with a single EU-US accord the patchwork of 21 bilateral aviation agreements that previously existed between Washington and individual European nations.
Previously, six EU countries without bilateral accords could not have direct flights to the US.
The new agreement's main innovation is that it will allow any EU carrier to fly from anywhere in the bloc to any point in the US, and then on to a third country, and vice versa. This was previously not possible.
However, EU airlines will still be unable to operate domestic US routes, and nor will US carriers be allowed to fly between cities in the same European country.
"The US-EU open skies agreement is a win for consumers because more carriers will be able to compete in more markets," Delta executive vice president Glen Hauenstein said.
"More competition will bring better service, lower fares, more destinations and more frequencies," he said.
The pact will also lift restrictions on which airlines can fly from which airport, having an important impact on the money-spinning transatlantic routes from London's busy Heathrow airport.
Under Britain's current bilateral aviation accord with the US, only British Airways (BA) and Virgin Atlantic and US carriers United Airlines and American Airlines can fly routes from Heathrow to the US.
Airlines not previously in that exclusive club have seized on the opportunity to fly new routes out of Heathrow.
"Continental has waited a long time to gain access to Heathrow and this is a great day for us, as well as for all trans-Atlantic travellers," Continental Airlines chief executive Larry Kellner said announcing new Heathrow routes.
The route between Heathrow and the US is a lucrative one, with a first-class BA return ticket costing as much as £7,000 (US$14,000).
Heathrow, which 68 million passengers a year, is the world's third-largest airport in terms of total passengers.
While BA is losing its grip on Heathrow, it is also seeking to take advantage of the pact by launching a new subsidiary named OpenSkies to fly from continental Europe to the US.
The new pact also lifts restrictions on EU carriers buying stakes of more than 50 percent in US airlines although their voting rights in a US company will remain capped at 25 percent.
US airlines will in turn be able to hold voting rights of up to 49 percent in a European carrier. although that could come back down to 25 percent if there is no progress in negotiations on further liberalisation.
Those talks are due to get underway in mid-May, setting the stage for another round of long and tough bargaining.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats