Struggling electronics maker JVC, part of the Matsushita empire, agreed yesterday on a capital tie-up with fellow Japanese high-tech firm Kenwood Corp leading to a merger.
Matsushita, best known for the Panasonic brand, will slash its holding in JVC, which will immediately team up with Kenwood to expand in areas such as car stereo systems.
JVC -- Victor Co of Japan -- was the pioneer of VHS video recorders a generation ago but has recently struggled in an increasingly competitive electronics market.
Under the plan, JVC will issue a total of ?35 billion (US$290 million) worth of new shares to Kenwood and investment firm Sparx Group Co, Kenwood's top shareholder, the companies said in a statement.
"On the condition that the two companies' management remain stable, JVC and Kenwood are beginning to look at management integration on an equal footing at the earliest time," the companies said.
HOLDING COMPANY
They plan to set up a new holding company which will fully control the two firms, they said.
With the issue of new shares, Kenwood will control 17 percent of JVC while Sparx Group will own 12.8 percent, the companies said.
The shareholding of JVC's parent firm Matsushita Electric Industrial Co will decline from 52.4 percent to 36.8 percent but it will remain the biggest shareholder, they said.
Founded in 1927, JVC was originally a subsidiary of the US record company Victor, but cut those ties during World War II. It continues to use Victor's symbol of the dog Nipper listening to his master's voice over a gramophone in Japan, but is not allowed to do so overseas.
JVC's performance has been a drag on otherwise profitable Matsushita, the world's largest maker of consumer electronics.
MATSUSHITA FORECAST
Matsushita said yesterday it had cut its forecast of net profit by 2 percent to ?246 billion in the year to next March due to JVC's stagnant performance.
JVC separately announced its net loss swelled to ?13 billion for the first quarter to last month from ?Y3.4 billion a year earlier, while revenue fell 9.7 percent to ?159.03 billion.
JVC reported an operating loss of ?6.30 billion, compared to ?1.9 billion a year earlier. The company said the losses were mainly due to a slump in sales of flat screen TVs and audio equipment.
JVC also downgraded its forecast for the full year to next March, seeing a net loss of ?17.2 billion and operating profit of ?8.1 billion on revenue of ?740 billion.
It had earlier projected a net loss of ?10.5 billion and operating profit of 15 billion on revenue of ?760 billion.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats