Malaysia will not bow to pressure from Washington to meet the White House's fast-closing window to push a free trade agreement (FTA) through Congress without amendments, Malaysia's deputy leader said yesterday.
At least five rounds of talks between Malaysia and the US have so far ended in a deadlock, mainly because of a disagreement over the way Kuala Lumpur awards government contracts.
Reports in Malaysia's media yesterday said Washington had all but ruled out a successful conclusion by July -- when US President George W. Bush's fast-track authority expires.
The authority allows Bush to submit a trade deal to Congress for a straight up-or-down vote without amendments. Negotiators must conclude a deal by the end of this month to allow US lawmakers three months to review it and then vote.
"We will not be tied down to any timeframe and we want to look into all details thoroughly before making a decision," Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak said. "The US will not pressure us. Of course, we know the US wants an early resolution but they also understand some issues take time to be finalized."
The two countries are looking at 18 areas in the talks, including industrial goods, customs procedures, intellectual property rights, agriculture, financial services and telecommunications.
Two-way trade between Malaysia and the US totaled US$44 billion in 2005, which officials say will double by 2010 if a free trade pact is signed.
The key obstacle to the negotations is Malaysia's affirmative action program that awards government tenders to Malay-owned firms.
Recently, US Ambassador to Malaysia Christopher LaFleur and US lobby groups have urged Malaysian officials to finish the agreement before Bush's fast-track authority expires.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats