US Agriculture Department Under-secretary J.B. Penn will arrive in Tokyo today with a delegation to discuss beef test procedures to end Japan's decision to ban US meat imports last Friday.
The US farm delegation was sent to Tokyo by Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns to tell their Japanese counterparts about the status of an investigation into how backbone material, banned by Japan, got into a shipment of veal, the US embassy in Tokyo said in a faxed release.
Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said imports of US beef would stop after learning on Friday that banned cattle parts were found in three of 41 boxes of beef shipped by Atlantic Veal & Lamb Inc.
Japan resumed US beef imports last month after a two-year halt over concerns about mad-cow disease. Trade resumed on condition the meat come from cattle no older than 20 months and that spinal cords, brains and other parts of cattle blamed for spreading the human variant of mad-cow disease are removed.
The plant that exported the suspect meat can no longer export beef to Japan, Johanns said in a statement on Friday. He said additional inspectors would be assigned to review procedures and ensure compliance with the export agreement with Japan.
Mad-cow disease is a brain-wasting livestock illness that scientists say is spread in cattle by tainted animal feed. Eating contaminated meat from infected animals can cause a fatal human variant that has been blamed for the deaths of 151 people in the UK, where it was first reported in the 1980s, according to the World Organization for Animal Health.
US beef exports plunged to 195 million kilograms in 2004 from a record 1.13 billion kilograms in 2003, after mad-cow disease was found in the US. Shipments rose to 290 million kilograms last year as some countries lifted import bans. The USDA on Jan. 12 estimated exports this year at 438.75 million kilograms.
Members of the delegation accompanying Penn are Charles Lambert, a deputy undersecretary for marketing and regulatory programs, and Curt Mann, undersecretary for food safety and inspection services, the embassy said.
US Deputy Secretary of State Robert Zoellick, in Japan for two days of talks before attending the World Economic Forum in Davos on Jan. 25-28, is to meet with Foreign Minister Taro Aso today on bilateral military base issues, a foreign ministry spokesman said.
Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe, Japan's chief government spokesman, said he would convey Japan's complaint on the beef blunder to Zoellick, Kyodo News reported on Saturday, citing Abe's remarks at a consumer rally in Yamaguchi prefecture.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary