WTO talks in Hong Kong next month aimed at reducing international barriers may struggle to bridge gaps and British Prime Minister Tony Blair said they represent a "critical moment" for the body.
While Blair urged all parties to be "bold" in what they offered, a work program presented by WTO Director-General Pascal Lamy on Saturday in Geneva indicated that the WTO is far from reaching an agreement on issues including farm aid, according to a copy of the draft text published on the organization's Web site.
The biggest obstacles are agricultural talks and disputes about cuts in tariffs, domestic subsidies and export grants for farmers. The WTO initially aimed to come up with a draft comprehensive deal in Hong Kong, though earlier this month Lamy said he'd abandoned that goal.
PHOTO: AP
"In particular, it was clear that, following the decision at the Heads of Delegation meeting that full modalities will not be achieved in Hong Kong," Lamy's draft text said.
Lamy based his outline on reports by the chief negotiators of each area of discussion on the status of talks. Some governments are talking about another summit early next year to help complete a framework for agreements by 2007.
"This is an absolutely critical moment of decision for the whole WTO," Blair said in Malta, where he was attending a summit of leaders of British Commonwealth countries.
"If we don't get a significant movement in Hong Kong, subsequently there is a danger that the whole round fails and that would be disastrous for economies both developed and developing," he said.
The 53 Commonwealth countries, who together account for one-fifth of world trade, said in a joint statement that they want their respective negotiators to be "flexible" in the Hong Kong meeting. They called on developed nations to display "political courage" and "give more than they receive" in the round, particularly on agriculture and market access.
New Zealand's Crawford Falconer, who heads the agriculture negotiations, said on Nov. 22 that "major gaps are yet to be bridged" on the size of farm tariff cuts and that the "fundamental divergence" over the treatment of politically sensitive products "needs to be resolved."
EU Trade Commissioner Peter Mandelson and US Trade Rep-resentative Robert Portman said earlier last week that the 148-member WTO had moved closer to overcoming differences over farm aid and tariffs in the run-up to the Hong Kong summit.
Yet Mandelson added that reaching a new trade agreement also depends on progress on non-farm issues, according to an editorial in French daily Le Figaro on Saturday.
"There can be no accord in Hong Kong without progress on the non-agricultural files," he wrote in Figaro's opinion pages.
"Europe is the biggest exporter of industrial products in the world and if concessions are made on the agricultural side, then we must obtain real advances for industry," he wrote.
Brazil and India have insisted that farm subsidies and tariffs are the key issue, and along with China are the leading developing nations in refusing to negotiate on industrial tariffs or commercial services until the EU offers better market access.
The so-called Doha trade round, which could lift tens of millions of people from poverty and bring new zest to global economic growth, should have been finished by last year.
The WTO's last two ministerial meetings in 1999 and 2003 collapsed because of spats between rich and poor nations.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary