Google, the Internet search innovator, was to make its first direct challenge to the broader communications industry yesterday when it introduced an instant-messaging and voice communication service for personal computers.
The program, Google Talk, will allow its users to exchange text messages and converse through their computers with others at remote locations. Other instant-messaging services offer similar capabilities, but Google said the appeal of its system would come from its voice quality, based on audio technology it has developed.
As with other Google product introductions, the company has not linked the new service with a plan for making money, saying only that it was likely to look for revenue opportunities in the future.
But yesterday's introduction is the clearest evidence yet that Google has vast ambitions to move beyond its Web search roots and create a company spanning the full range of digital information.
"This begs the question of what Google defines themselves as," said Allen Weiner, an Internet analyst at Gartner, a market research firm. "I believe they're now a media company whether or not they want to admit it."
In choosing to compete directly with the three major providers of instant messaging -- AOL, Microsoft and Yahoo -- Google has chosen a standard known as Jabber, which has been embraced by proponents of open-source software.
The three major messaging services are largely islands that do not permit their users to send messages to and from competing services. But there have been reports that the Jabber open-source organization is preparing to connect with AOL, which is the largest provider of messaging with its AOL Instant Messenger system, known as AIM.
More than 80 million Americans used instant-messaging services as of last month, according to comScore Media Metrix. Of those users, 30.9 million used AIM, 23.3 million used MSN Messenger and 23.2 million used Yahoo Insider. Although comScore does not track Jabber users, Peter Saint-Andre, the executive director of the Jabber Software Foundation, cited estimates by Osterman Research, a research and analysis firm specializing in messaging and digital collaboration, that 13.5 million use the Jabber standard.
A Google executive said the company was hoping to use the Jabber standard to connect the messaging industry.
"We are going to start working to federate all the other networks," said the executive, Georges Harik, a product management director who is responsible for Google Talk and several other services.
At the start, Google Talk users will be able to exchange text messages with users of other Jabber-compatible software -- including Apple's iChat service and Earthlink -- but they will be able to converse only with other Google Talk users. (Google intends to make its voice technology operable with other systems at a later stage.)
Google plans to link availability of its instant-messaging service to its e-mail service, Gmail, now in public testing. The Gmail service will be made generally available, and a Gmail address will function as a user's instant-messaging identity as well. Users can sign up for both services at www.google.com/talk; a mobile-phone number must be entered as part of a measure to keep spam operators from stockpiling addresses.
Harik said that Google saw its entry into the communications world in the context of a corporate mission of organizing and making all of the world's information readily accessible.
"It is important that you be able to find information, but it is also important that you be able to communicate it," he said.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats