A powerful South Korea labor group said yesterday it would call hun-dreds of thousands of its members to strike next week against a government bill aimed at stopping union militancy and securing flexible job markets.
The Korean Confederation of Trade Unions (KCTU), one of the country's two umbrella unions, announced the strike ahead of a massive protest yesterday in Seoul.
"The general strike begins on November 26 to get the government bill repealed," said Lee Su-Bong, spokesman for the confederation that claims 600,000 members.
Intensifying weeks of labor unrest, tens of thousands of KCTU workers gathered for the protest in the capital under the watch of 9,000 troops who had hundreds of buses ready to be used as barricades.
The controversial bill will restrict militant union activities and allow private companies to hire more temporary workers, a key demand in trade talks with other countries.
The bill, part of President Roh Moo-Hyun's promised reforms, is awaiting approval from parliament which is expected to deliberate the legislation next week.
Unions want the bill to be scrapped saying it would infringe on labor rights and destabilize the job market with the increase of what they term "non-regular" workers.
Adding to labor tensions gripping the country, government employees have said they would strike on Nov. 25 for more rights despite police crackdowns aimed at stopping the action.
South Korea bans public servants from taking part in union activities and the KCTU-backed Korean Government Employees Union has demanded the right to strike.
Police have rounded up government-employee unionists and stormed union offices in the past weeks to disrupt the planned strike, warning that strikers could face dismissal and arrest.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats