A Russian court on Tuesday turned down two crucial appeals by the country's largest oil producer, Yukos. One was an attempt to stop the government from collecting a US$3.4 billion tax bill and the other a request to let Yukos sell shares in a rival company to help pay the claim.
In its first ruling, the court, the Moscow City Court of Arbitration, rejected a request to suspend collection of the 2000 tax debt -- at least until appeals against the seizure of the company's core subsidiaries had been heard, according to the Interfax news agency.
The court then threw out a request that Yukos be allowed to pay part of its tax bill using shares of Sibneft. Yukos tried and failed to merge with Sibneft. Sibneft called off the deal after the Yukos chief executive, Mikhail Khodorkovsky, was arrested in October. Yukos still owns 20 percent of Sibneft.
Yukos is thought to be among the targets of a Kremlin-inspired campaign to wrest power from Russia's oligarchs.
The company's founder and controlling shareholder, Khodorkovsky, is on trial for tax evasion and fraud charges.
His trial resumes today, and prosecutors said on Tuesday that they would begin introducing witnesses.
In the last few weeks, Yukos executives have frequently warned that with corporate bank accounts frozen and a stop order in place on selling assets, bankruptcy and production cuts could be just around the corner.
The authorities, meanwhile, have been looking at Yukos' tax records for years other than 2000, and analysts say the company's tax bill could balloon to US$10 billion.
Yukos supplies a fifth of all of Russia's oil, but concerns about it being cut off from the world market eased somewhat on Tuesday, after Russia's government-owned railroad said that it would export Yukos oil even if the company could not pay the freight itself.
The media office of Russian Railways told Interfax that even if Yukos was unable to pay for rail freight, the agency could bill the traders who sell the oil.
The standoff against Yukos and the Kremlin remains tense.
If Yukos does file for bankruptcy, its core shareholders, including Group Menatep, Khodorkovsky's investment holding company, would be at the front of the creditors' line.
According to one estimate, Group Menatep at the end of the second quarter held about US$10 billion of the liabilities of the parent company, NK Yukos, up from US$7 billion at the end of the first quarter.
The United Financial Group, a brokerage firm partly owned by Deutsche Bank, said in a note to clients that creditors other than Menatep were owed relatively little.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats