Samsung SDI Co, the world's second-largest plasma-display maker, had its panels barred from entering Japan by customs officials acting on a complaint from Fujitsu Ltd that the screens use technology that infringes its patents.
The ban is effective for two years from yesterday, said a Tokyo Customs Headquarters public relations executive who declined to be identified. The customs action was reported yesterday morning in Japan's Mainichi newspaper.
Lawsuits were filed by Tokyo-based Fujitsu in the US and Japan earlier this month against Samsung Electronics and its units, including Samsung Japan Corp and Samsung SDI.
Samsung SDI expected the move "as it's part of the routine process after Fujitsu's complaint," said Bryan Sohn, a spokesman for Samsung SDI in Seoul.
Fujitsu makes plasma-display panels and has said it holds about 800 patents for the screens. It has licensing agreements on plasma-display patents with Japanese companies such as Matsushita Electric Industrial Co and Pioneer Corp.
Fujitsu sought an injunction earlier this month against the import and sale of Samsung's plasma panels in Japan.
Samsung SDI in March asked a US district court to nullify patents held by Fujitsu related to plasma-display technology, a legal document showed. Samsung SDI also sought an injunction in March against Fujitsu and its affiliates barring them from suing SDI on at least eight patents, according to the document.
Global revenue from plasma displays jumped 84 percent to US$1.87 billion in the first quarter, compared with US$1.01 billion a year earlier, El Segundo, California-based technology researcher Isuppli Corp said in a quarterly report on Tuesday. Shipments more than doubled to 477,000 units from 207,000 screens a year earlier, it said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats