Famine-struck North Korea has opened its first fast-food restaurant in communist Vietnam, hoping to cash in on a taste for the unusual in boomtown Ho Chi Minh City.
The main dish on the menu at the 50-seat restaurant is naengmyeon -- wheat noodles served ice-cold, with a dash of traditional Korean pickle and broth extracted from cow's lungs and intestines.
"The establishment will serve Vietnamese comrades," said Ryu H.Y., one of the eatery's four North Korean managers.
Sited on the edge of a bustling commercial quarter in the centre of Ho Chi Minh City, the Taedonggang Pyongyang restaurant was nearly full on Saturday, its opening day.
"The food here tastes great, it's very, very delicious," said Hattori Tsuneo, a Japanese businessman based in the city formerly known as Saigon.
He sampled cold noodles and raw salmon.
Paying the equivalent of just over US$2 for a set meal -- not too much more than a Vietnamese eatery's average rice dish -- customers could wash it all down with soft drinks, Heineken beer or Japanese sake rice wine.
Communist Vietnam, where average annual incomes still hover around US$400, has few international fast-food chains. The US Kentucky Fried Chicken and Jollibee Foods Corp from the Philippines operate in Ho Chi Minh City.
Ryu said he was sure that besides local Vietnamese, foreign tourists "contributing to the friendship and understanding between North Korea and the world" would also opt to eat there.
On the dining room's bright pink walls, pictures showed happy North Korean families rowing in the River Taedonggang, after which the restaurant is named.
The restaurant represents one of the rare links that Vietnam, which has experienced many capitalist influences in recent years, has with the reclusive east Asian state.
"The restaurant is important for North Korea's internationalization," Ryu said in near-perfect French as a North Korean embassy staffer from the capital Hanoi looked on.
North Korea is regarded as one of the world's most isolated countries and its hardline communist leaders are extremely wary of foreign influences.
The restaurant is only the third North Korean restaurant open for business in southeast Asia.
One is located in Cambodia's Siem Reap and the other is in Phnom Penh.
The Korea International Travel Company is the sole owner with a US$100,000 investment in the Vietnam eatery.
Ryu said the Korea International Travel Company was eyeing expansion to other cities and countries throughout Asia and Europe in an effort to promote the reclusive North Korea's "special characteristics."
"We will start small but grow big," Ryu said.
"We are capable of running a business too," he said.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats