Hong Kong Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa (
The plan, announced by Tung at a press briefing, includes waivers for property, sewage and water charges, plus loan guarantees to protect half a million jobs in the tourism, entertainment, retailing and catering industries. The government will rebate HK$2.3 billion of salaries tax to encourage spending.
Like similar steps taken by Singapore a week ago, the measures aim to help small businesses and companies such as Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd, hotelier Shangri-La Asia Ltd and fast-food chain Cafe de Coral Holdings Ltd. People are staying home to avoid exposure to severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, which has infected 1,458 people and killed 105 in the city in two months.
"It's already too late, the damage is already being done," said John Koh, a fund manager at Daiwa Asset Management Ltd, which runs US$200 million in Asia.
"How many companies are still around to apply for these benefits?" he said.
Tommy Cheung, a Legislative Council member representing the catering industry, said more than 100 restaurants have shut since the outbreak of the disease. The number of tourists visiting Hong Kong plunged by a third between mid-March and mid-April from a year earlier.
The Hang Seng Index fell 52.31, or 0.6 percent, to 8519.60, the lowest since Oct. 9, 1998, at the 4 pm market close. The index dropped 8.6 percent so far this year, the world's fourth worst-performing benchmark index behind those of India, Japan and Venezuela.
Tung has been criticized by opposition lawmakers for responding too slowly to the outbreak. China's leaders, who control the selection process that put Tung into his job, are questioning local politicians behind the scenes about his leadership abilities, the South China Morning Post reported.
Tung said he needed to balance the needs of business with the government's goal of reducing its deficit, forecast to be HK$68 billion in the year that began April 1.
"The measures seek to relieve the short-term impact of atypical pneumonia on our economy," Tung told a press briefing.
"They have also taken into account the medium-term need to make sure our budget is in balance," he said.
SARS has caught Hong Kong as the city was rebounding from its second recession in five years. The government said it will cut its previous 3 percent economic growth forecast for this year.
Hong Kong's budget deficit will be wider and growth will be slower this year because of SARS, Financial Secretary Antony Leung (
Some investors said reviving growth should be the government's priority.
"A one-off package is a good idea," said Andrew Salton, who helps manage $2.5 billion at Standard Life Investments Ltd.
"I wouldn't be concerned about the impact on the deficit," he said.
Under the government's plan, commercial rents in public housing estates will be reduced by as much as half for three months. Rates, water and sewage charges will be waived for up to four months for everyone, and license fees for the worst-affected industries will be scrapped for a year. Residents will each receive up to HK$3,000 via salaries tax rebates.
In the hotel and leisure industries, which have been worst-affected by the outbreak of the disease, the city will provide HK$3.5 billion in loans to pay salaries and protect jobs. The government also plans to create 21,500 temporary jobs and waive license fees for the transportation sector for a year.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats