Two Chinese citizens have been killed and one injured in a suspected bomb attack in central Laos, a mountainous area that in recent months has seen an increase in violence and in years past was the scene of clashes between government forces and the Hmong ethnic minority, China’s Xinhua news agency reported yesterday.
The incident took place in Xaysomboun Province at about 8am on Sunday when the victims, one of whom was employed by a Chinese mining company, were riding in a vehicle, Xinhua reported.
Chinese diplomats have visited the survivor, surnamed Zhou (周), and have requested a swift investigation, Xinhua said. An official contacted at the Lao Embassy in Vietnam, the nation’s closest ally, said he was unaware of the report.
China is a major investor in Laos’ rich abundance of minerals and other natural resources, and shares its one-party form of authoritarian communist government. A special Chinese presidential envoy, Song Tao (宋濤), is due to visit the nation this week, Xinhua said.
Since November last year, there has been an increase in violence in the province, though the perpetrators have not been identified, nor has the tightly controlled state press provided any details.
In a notice posted on its Web site, the US embassy in Laos in November prohibited its employees from traveling to Xaysomboon Province due to what it described as nighttime shooting attacks by unidentified assailants. It said one person was killed on Nov. 17 and another wounded on Nov. 18.
The Hmong fought on the side of a pro-US regime during the Vietnam War, and after the communist Pathet Lao took over in 1975, many fled abroad or hid in the jungle. Until a few years ago, there were several small bands of Hmong resisters who continued to hide in the jungle and occasionally clash with security forces, but most eventually surrendered.
The US government-funded news service Radio Free Asia (RFA) has reported additional attacks in November and December last year and January, citing unnamed police and other sources. In the latest reported attack, a bus came under fire on Jan. 14, leaving about a dozen passengers hurt, but none killed, RFA said.
While RFA’s reports could not be independently confirmed, it has a record of being well-informed about Laotian affairs.
In a report forwarded to The Associated Press earlier this month, Hmong sympathizers gave their own version of the recent violence, saying that from mid-November last year until the end of December, there had been six attacks by government forces on groups of Hmong, killing at least seven and wounding 21.
The report, which came from a source that has provided accurate information in the past, also said that 13 Hmong villagers had been arrested in November last year for contacting people in the jungle, meaning Hmong who are hiding from the authorities.
The source declined to be named because of fears for his personal security.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver