Behind the neo-Gothic splendor of the Palace of Westminster, Britain’s Houses of Parliament building is crumbling and overrun with mice, prompting its top official to warn that it might have to be “abandoned” without urgent renovations.
Leaking roofs mean members of parliament have to use wastepaper baskets to catch drips when it rains and the ornate stonework has been eroded by air pollution.
Asbestos is a constant hazard and even the famous clock tower snapped by tourists from around the world leans 46cm off the vertical.
Photo: AFP
Then there are the mice.
Rodents are frequently spotted scurrying around the members’ tea room and a mouse hotline was even set up so politicians could report sightings.
One lawmaker, Anne McIntosh — who has also seen mice in the House of Commons library late at night — wants parliament to adopt a cat from a nearby animal shelter to chase them away.
“For some reason, my idea of having a cat wasn’t accepted,” McIntosh said. “There are also reported to be rats — it’s so close to the river and they say you’re never more than six yards away from a rat in London.”
Also on the list of MPs’ complaints are often cramped working areas and faulty heating.
House of Commons Speaker John Bercow flagged up the scale of the problems in a speech on Tuesday last week, saying the final bill for repairs could be £3 billion (US$4.5 billion).
He warned that lawmakers could have to move out for good within 20 years unless major renovations take place in the next decade.
The Houses of Parliament, designed by Charles Barry and Augustus Pugin, was finished in 1870 and is now a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Although a fire in 1834 destroyed most of the old Palace of Westminster and parts of the Commons had to be rebuilt after World War II due to bomb damage, there are still some areas which date back to the 11th century.
Despite such an illustrious history, the building faces an uncertain future.
Parliamentary authorities have commissioned a group of experts to tell them what exactly needs to be done and how much it is set to cost.
It is thought work is unlikely to start before 2021 and could take from several years to up to a decade, depending on how it is conducted.
John Thurso, a lawmaker who sits on the House of Commons Commission which oversees maintenance of the Palace of Westminster, said the work had been put off for too long and was now at a critical point.
“There will come a moment when something major will happen — it could be the collapse of a bit of the building, it could be a fire — any range of serious, catastrophic events,” he said. “We have reached the point where, in pass-the-parcel terms, the music has stopped and it has to be dealt with.”
MPs are already talking about whether they should move out of the Palace of Westminster while the works take place or stay, even though this could significantly increase the bill.
Many are lobbying for parliament to move to their own constituencies for the duration of the works to address claims that British politics is too London-centric.
It is thought more likely that lawmakers would relocate to a nearby spot such as the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre, an unglamorous 1980s venue a stone’s throw from parliament.
Whatever happens, the British taxpayer will have to foot the huge bill for renovations at a time when many are disillusioned with politicians after a string of scandals, including over MPs taking second jobs and submitting improper expense claims.
Some commentators suggest that the authorities should use the crisis to restore both the Palace of Westminster and politicians’ crumbling reputations by creating a parliament more suited to the 21st century.
“Parliament has often been in bad public odor, but its unfitness for purpose today is glaring,” Simon Jenkins wrote in the Guardian newspaper last week. “[It] should become a modern estate of the realm, standing effective against the executive, not its poodle.”
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but