The UN Security Council unanimously ordered sanctions on Friday against the leaders of last month’s military coup in Guinea-Bissau and warned it was ready to take new measures.
The 15-nation council ordered a travel ban against five top military officers in the West African nation, led by Bissau-Guinean Army Chief of Staff General Antonio Indjai.
The EU has also ordered sanctions over the April 12 coup and Guinea-Bissau has been suspended by the African Union.
“Coup d’etats against legitimate democratic authorities are simply unacceptable,” said Portuguese Permanent Representative to the UN Jose Filipe Moraes Cabral, whose country drew up the sanctions resolution.
“We are gravely concerned by increasing reports of recurrent human rights violations” by the military command, Cabral told the council.
The Security Council renewed its “strong condemnation” of the coup, which was carried out as the country prepared for the second round of a presidential election. It also expressed concern about reports on the theft of state funds.
The resolution demanded that “the military command takes immediate steps to respect constitutional order.”
It ordered a travel ban against Indjai, Bissau-Guinean Deputy Army Chief of Staff Major General Mamadu Ture and top officers General Estevao Na Mena, Brigadier General Ibraima Camara and Lieutenant Colonel Daba Naualna.
The council said it would be ready to order “the strengthening” of the sanctions including an arms embargo and financial measures, depending on the junta’s compliance with UN resolution 20.
The vote was held on the day that the first 70 soldiers from a West African force arrived in Guinea-Bissau on a mission to restore stability.
Soldiers from Burkina Faso arrived just after the Economic Community of West African states (ECOWAS) announced it was deploying 629 soldiers to Guinea-Bissau to relieve an Angolan stabilization force and help “the restoration of constitutional rule.”
ECOWAS leaders and UN officials were to meet in Abidjan yesterday to discuss the coups in Guinea-Bissau and Mali, where soldiers overthrew the government in March.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said in a statement it was “critical” for the meeting to “send a clear and principled message against unconstitutional seizures of power.”
The UN calls “for the military in both countries to return to their barracks, refrain from any political involvement and to respect civilian authority and the rule of law,” Ban said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver