Bullet holes pock the vault door and empty display boxes litter the showroom floor of Abidjan’s Museum of Civilization, robbed of 100 ancient artifacts under the cover of deadly conflict in April.
“A piece of our history has been wiped out,” museum director Silvie Memel Kassi said of the collection’s lost crown jewels, some dating back to the 17th century, that may now be melted for the gold.
“It is a huge loss,” she said.
Photo: AFP
Worth an estimated 3 billion CFA francs (US$6.5 million), but irreplaceable, the looters made off with masks, sabers, crowns and gold-handled fly swatters — objects described by the museum as “authentic, unique and rare.”
“I had dreamed of leaving a museum of reference for future generations,” Zoko Djowa, the museum’s curator for the past 30 years and just months from retirement, said bitterly as he walked around the devastation.
Opened by the then-French administration in a white, colonial-style building in 1942, the museum could not have been worse placed during the conflict that engulfed Ivory Coast’s economic capital after a disputed election in November last year.
In Plateau, the neighborhood housing the presidential palace, the building also borders Camp Gallieni army headquarters and came under fire from both sides to the four-month conflict.
Fighting ended on April 11 with the arrest of former Ivorian president Laurent Gbagbo, who sparked the conflict by refusing to concede defeat to now-President Alassane Ouattara.
Shelling left a large hole in the museum facade.
Inside, the shattered state of the exhibition hall would break the heart of any art lover hoping to see the once rich collection of artifacts telling the story of the peoples of Ivory Coast.
Bullet marks have been left on the double glass that used to enclose sabers used by the royal Agni people from the east of the country.
Glass display boxes lie strewn on the floor, empty.
In the middle of the room; the massive, hundred-year-old skeleton of an elephant — the national emblem — towers over the few masks and statuettes left of the once proud collection.
Among the items lost: pendants worn by the central Baule people in the seventeenth century, statuettes of the western We and northern Senufo tribes, crowns and fly swatters with solid gold handles from the central and coastal regions, and sacred masks from the Dan people in the west.
While the pillagers failed to reach most of the estimated 11,000 items locked up in vaults, they did make off with the museum’s flagship collection.
“All of Ivory Coast” was exhibited there, Memel Kassi said in her small office, surrounded by traditional masks.
Each of the stolen objects “taught us something about its culture, its civilization, its beliefs,” she said.
Without holding out much hope, the museum has issued a search notice for the plundered items through the cross-border policing organization Interpol and urged the public to help.
However, chances of recovering the items are slim, said Jules-Evariste Toa, a communication professor at the University of Abidjan.
“One can melt the gold or start a private collection. We fear never to see the items again,” the once-regular museum visitor said.
Now closed to the public, the museum — which has seen its visitor numbers dwindle in recent years — will have to stretch its meager 76,000 euro (US$109,000) budget to cover vital refurbishment and security improvements.
“We need an alarm system and weapons,” museum security guard Jean-Claude Agniman said.
However, by far the worst consequence of the looting, Ivorians say, is the loss of patrimony invaluable to helping forge a common national identity as the nation embarks on reconstruction after a decade of crises and tensions.
“Ivory Coast is losing its points of reference with the disappearance of these pieces,” said Ivorian poet and writer Paul Ahizi, describing the theft as “a desecration of the spirit of [our] ancestors.”
“The country will have a problem defining its own identity and spirituality,” he said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but