The launch of a pro-government newspaper in South Africa was postponed on Wednesday after the editor and four senior staff quit hours before the first issue was to go to press.
The New Age promised “more positive” news and to highlight the achievements of the governing African National Congress (ANC). Its owner, the Gupta Group, has close links with South African President Jacob Zuma. The paper was to hit the streets on Wednesday morning, but at 3pm on Tuesday there was a staff mutiny involving the editor, Vuyo Mvoko, his deputy and three other senior staff.
Gary Naidoo, managing editor of the New Age, told Talk Radio 702: “We were ready to go to print. We withheld that publication with respect for those editorial staff that have stayed on ... We did not anticipate this.”
He estimated that the paper, already delayed from the middle of last month, would be published in “maybe a week, two weeks.”
The journalists who walked out said in a statement: “We have taken the decision that it would be neither proper nor professionally acceptable for us to speak publicly about the reasons for our decision.”
There were reports of a disagreement with the owners over the paper’s editorial stance. Mvoko was understood to have felt his authority was being undermined.
The New Age’s owners are Indian businessmen who arrived in South Africa in 1993 and built their fortune from computers. They have a nine-year relationship with Zuma and his family. Atul Gupta is said to be a close friend of Zuma; Gupta’s brother Rajesh and Zuma’s son Duduzane are business partners.
The walkout by staff came on national press freedom day in South Africa, an event marked by protests and debates because of new measures being considered by the ANC.
The party is pushing for the creation of a statutory media appeals tribunal and new laws that would broaden the definition of official secrets, with whistleblowers and journalists who infringe them facing up to 25 years in prison.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
SUSPICION: Junta leader Min Aung Hlaing returned to protests after attending a summit at which he promised to hold ‘free and fair’ elections, which critics derided as a sham The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen to more than 3,300, state media said yesterday, as the UN aid chief made a renewed call for the world to help the disaster-struck nation. The quake on Friday last week flattened buildings and destroyed infrastructure across the country, resulting in 3,354 deaths and 4,508 people injured, with 220 others missing, new figures published by state media showed. More than one week after the disaster, many people in the country are still without shelter, either forced to sleep outdoors because their homes were destroyed or wary of further collapses. A UN estimate
The US government has banned US government personnel in China, as well as family members and contractors with security clearances, from any romantic or sexual relationships with Chinese citizens, The Associated Press (AP) has learned. Four people with direct knowledge of the matter told the AP about the policy, which was put into effect by departing US ambassador Nicholas Burns in January shortly before he left China. The people would speak only on condition of anonymity to discuss details of a confidential directive. Although some US agencies already had strict rules on such relationships, a blanket “nonfraternization” policy, as it is known, has
OPTIONS: Asked if one potential avenue to a third term was having J.D. Vance run for the top job and then pass the baton to him, Trump said: ‘That’s one,’ among others US President Donald Trump on Sunday that “I’m not joking” about trying to serve a third term, the clearest indication he is considering ways to breach a constitutional barrier against continuing to lead the country after his second term ends at the beginning of 2029. “There are methods which you could do it,” Trump said in a telephone interview with NBC News from Mar-a-Lago, his private club. He elaborated later to reporters on Air Force One from Florida to Washington that “I have had more people ask me to have a third term, which in a way is a fourth term