Japan suspects its defense ministry and national police agency Web sites have come under cyber attack this week, a news report said on Friday, amid a bitter row with China over a territorial dispute.
The government is looking into the attacks, given that China’s largest known hackers’ group had warned it would attack Japanese government Web sites until yesterday in protest over the maritime incident, Kyodo News agency reported.
The defense ministry and national police agency Web sites became difficult to access, possibly because of cyber attacks, between Wednesday and Friday, unnamed government officials were quoted as saying.
The method of attack was believed to be a so-called distributed denial of service attack, in which a group of hackers flood a target Web site with a mass of data, slowing it to a crawl, the official was quoted as saying.
The defense ministry said access to its Web site surged for about half an hour on Wednesday evening and the police agency said access to its Web site slowed considerably overnight from Thursday to early Friday.
The news report also said the government had called on municipal governments and public universities to increase surveillance of their Web sites and check their responses in case hackers launch an attack on their sites.
Japan and China are embroiled in their worst spat in years, stemming from the Sept. 7 collision of a Chinese fishing trawler and two Japanese coastguard vessels near a disputed island chain in the East China Sea.
China has so far summoned Japan’s ambassador five times over the incident, canceled a senior lawmaker’s Tokyo visit and repeatedly demanded the boat’s captain be released from Japanese custody.
It has also resumed unilateral work on a gas field in a disputed maritime territory, after scrapping talks on its joint exploitation with Japan.
Japan has called the situation “extremely regrettable.” Its officials also say there are no plans for the prime ministers of the two countries to meet next week on the sidelines of a UN summit in New York.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver