A US decision to use a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in joint naval drills with South Korea constitutes a “fresh provocation” to China and its neighbors, a senior naval officer said yesterday.
In a commentary published in the official China Daily, Rear Admiral Yang Yi (楊毅) said Washington would “pay a costly price for its muddled decision” to participate in further drills near Chinese territory over Beijing’s objection.
Yang also warned it was “inadvisable” to push a country of 1.3 billion people, noting that there was instead wide scope for US-China naval cooperation should Washington choose the route of caution.
Last week, Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said future joint US-South Korea drills would involve the nuclear-powered USS George Washington in the Yellow Sea, which separates the Korean Peninsula from China.
“This would be a fresh provocation following a series of joint US-ROK activities that have caused tensions in East Asia,” Yang said, referring to South Korea by its official abbreviation.
“Offending Chinese people is not in the fundamental interest of the US,” warned the rear admiral, a former director of the Institute for Strategic Studies at the People’s Liberation Army National Defense University. “Any activity aimed at pushing a country with a 1.3-billion populace with enormous potential would be inadvisable.”
The US and South Korea last month conducted massive joint naval and air exercises in the Sea of Japan, which were opposed by Beijing.
The drills were a show of force against North Korea — China’s ally — following the sinking of a South Korean warship blamed by Seoul and its allies on a North Korean submarine.
China is North Korea’s closest ally and trade partner and Beijing has refused to join in international condemnation of Pyongyang for the incident.
Beijing had expressed concern about the July 25 to July 28 drill, which was initially supposed to be held in the Yellow Sea, but was later relocated to the Sea of Japan after Beijing’s protests.
China staged its own naval, air and artillery exercises late last month, though it was not clear if the drills had been pre-planned or were in response to the US-South Korea exercise.
“Washington’s adherence to the Cold War mentality and its excessive dependence on military means to resolve international disputes will lead the superpower to bigger strategic setbacks,” Yang said. “It is up to the US to take some initiatives to change its long-established position for the sake of better bilateral ties.”
US officials worry that Beijing’s more assertive stance in the Pacific Ocean could undercut the US’ long-dominant naval power in Asia. China maintains that its army build-up is purely for national defense and poses no threat to other countries.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told