The Taliban denounced this week’s international conference on Afghanistan’s future, saying the “vague and terrible agenda” shows that the US and its allies intend to abandon the country and blame their ultimate defeat on the Afghan government.
Representatives of the US and 60 other countries met on Tuesday to endorse Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s plan for Afghan police and soldiers to take charge of security nationwide by 2014. Karzai also urged his international backers to distribute more of their development aid through his government.
In a statement posted in English on their Web site, the Taliban said the conference showed that the US “has lost the initiatives and is unable to resolve Afghanistan issue.”
The statement was distributed to news organizations by the SITE Intelligence Group that monitors extremist communications.
“Whatever actions are taken in this regard have already been doomed to a failure,” the statement said. “It is evident from the vague and terrible agenda of the conference ... that America and the international community intend to pull out of Afghanistan” and blame “all the coming destruction’s [sic], humiliation and defeat on Kabul puppet regime,” meaning the Karzai administration, it said.
A massive security crackdown prevented the Taliban from launching any major attacks in the capital during the conference.
However, rockets fired at the Kabul airport on Tuesday forced the plane carrying UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt to divert to Bagram Air Field north of the city.
The Taliban said the attack “turned the moments of peace and safety of the US invaders into disaster” and left conference participants “scared to death.”
Also on Wednesday, NATO said insurgents beheaded six Afghan policemen after attacking their checkpoint in northern Afghanistan the day before. The coalition said militants attacked a number of government buildings and the checkpoint on Tuesday in Baghlan Province’s Dahanah-ye Ghori district. The attackers overran the checkpoint and decapitated the six policemen, NATO said.
Elsewhere, NATO reported three more service member deaths in roadside bombings on Wednesday in southern Afghanistan. The alliance did not report nationalities, but the Danish military said one of the dead was a Danish soldier.
Another Dane was wounded, the Danish military said.
The deaths brought the number of NATO service members killed this month to 67.
Violence and casualties have surged in recent months as the US and its allies have stepped up the fight against the Taliban. Last month was the deadliest month of the war for international troops with 103 deaths, including 60 Americans.
In Australia, the defense ministry said the main NATO base outside the southern city of Kandahar came under Taliban rocket fire late on Monday, causing minor damage but no Australian casualties.
No further details were released. The NATO base at the Kandahar Air Field comes under rocket and mortar fire from time to time, usually without causing major damage or casualties.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but