Syria warned on Thursday that Israel was paving the way for new military action by alleging that Damascus is providing Scud missiles to the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.
Israeli defense officials have said they believe Hezbollah has obtained Scud missiles capable of hitting anywhere in Israel and earlier this week, Israeli President Shimon Peres directly accused Damascus of providing the weapons.
If the Lebanese militants have acquired Scuds, it would mark a powerful boost to their arsenal and a breach of a UN-brokered cease-fire that ended the 2006 war between Hezbollah and Israel.
Israel has not offered proof to back up the claim, and Syria’s Foreign Ministry strongly denied the charge, saying it “believes that Israel aims through these claims to further strain the atmosphere in the region.”
It added that Israel could be setting the stage for a possible “aggression in order to run away from the requirements of a just and comprehensive peace.”
Speaking earlier this week, Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak insisted his country has no aggressive intentions.
“We expect and recommend that everyone keep the current calm, but as we’ve said, the introduction of systems that disturb the balance endanger the stability and the calm,” he said.
The allegation comes at a sensitive time in US-Syrian relations.
Washington has reached out to Syria in recent months by nominating the first US ambassador to Damascus since 2005 and sending top diplomats to meet with Syrian President Bashar Assad.
Washington is hoping to draw Syria away from Iran and the Islamic groups that Iran backs — Hezbollah in Lebanon and the Palestinian Islamic group Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
The US said on Wednesday it was “increasingly concerned” about the transfer of more sophisticated weaponry to Hezbollah.
Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah has said his militants have more than 30,000 rockets and are capable of hitting anywhere in Israel. Those claims match assessments made by Israeli intelligence.
Some Scud missiles have a range of hundreds of kilometers, meaning that guerrillas could launch them from deeper inside Lebanon and farther from Israel’s reach.
Scuds can carry a warhead of up to 1 tonne, making them far larger than the biggest rockets previously in Hezbollah’s arsenal, and are also more accurate.
During the month-long 2006 conflict, Hezbollah fired nearly 4,000 rockets at northern Israel, including several medium-range missiles that for the first time hit Israel’s third-largest city, Haifa.
The war, sparked by a Hezbollah ambush of an Israeli patrol along the border, left 1,200 Lebanese and 160 Israelis dead. Swaths of south Lebanon were devastated.
If the estimates of Hezbollah’s arsenal released by Israeli intelligence and the Hezbollah militants themselves are correct, it would mean that the international effort to halt arms smuggling to Hezbollah, which was part of the 2006 cease-fire, has failed.
The ceasefire also saw the deployment of a UN force along the border, which has been relatively quiet since the end of hostilities nearly four years ago.
Scuds are potentially deadlier than smaller rockets, but their size and the fact that they are launched from large trucks makes them easier to spot and destroy. Israeli aircraft successfully eliminated most of Hezbollah’s longer-range rockets in the 2006 conflict before they were launched, while finding far less success against smaller, more mobile projectiles.
Israel’s military has US-manufactured Patriot missile batteries that could offer a defense against the Scuds, as well as the Arrow, which can intercept long-range rockets.
A new system under development in Israel, known as David’s Sling, is specifically designed for rockets like Scuds but will not be ready for several years.
Hezbollah fought a guerrilla war against Israeli forces occupying parts of southern Lebanon from the early 1980s until May 2000, when the Israelis withdrew.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but