Forensic tests on the skeletal remains of a teenager discovered in the eaves of a 15th-century Italian church may hold clues to the identity of a killer with a hair fetish who murdered a British woman.
For several years, police in Dorset, southwestern England, have linked the 2002 killing of Heather Barnett, 48, to the disappearance and suspected murder of 16-year-old Elisa Claps in Italy.
Claps disappeared 17 years ago in Potenza, where her body was found this week in the roof of the church of the Santissima Trinita. She was last seen at the same church having made an appointment to meet an Italian man, Danilo Restivo.
SUSPECT
Restivo, now 37, became the only suspect in the Claps inquiry, and moved to Britain after serving a jail term for lying to investigators about an injury he sustained on the day of the teenager’s disappearance.
UK detectives have visited Italy several times in their hunt for Barnett’s killer. The mother of two was found in the bathroom of her apartment in the seaside resort of Bournemouth, Dorset, in November 2002.
She had been hit over the head with a heavy object and stabbed several times. Her breasts had been cut from her body and in her hands were strands of hair cut from an unidentified woman.
LINK
The cases were linked when it was discovered that Restivo had moved into a home across the road from Barnett after serving his perjury sentence.
British police said on Friday they were liaising with the Italian authorities after the discovery in Potenza.
At Bari University’s institute of forensic medicine, where the autopsy on Claps’s body is to be carried out, a source said there were “no evident signs” of violence on the body but there could still be vital clues in matter below the fingernails.
Restivo has been arrested twice by Dorset police and questioned on suspicion of Barnett’s murder, but was released without charge.
He has always denied involvement in Barnett’s death or Claps’s disappearance. He still lives opposite the murder scene in Bournemouth with his wife.
DENIAL
In an interview with the Italian news agency Ansa, Restivo said this week: “I do not believe my legal position has been impaired in the slightest. On the contrary, I hope that the urgent checks being carried out now will show that I had nothing whatever to do with Elisa Claps’ death.”
Restivo has complained in the past of being harassed by the missing girl’s family.
He said last year he received an envelope containing bullets — a traditional mafia warning. Claps’s family members have denied any involvement.
British detectives are also pursuing a separate link to the Potenza case.
While investigating Barnett’s killing they found a spate of complaints from women in the area who said strands of their hair had been cut as they traveled by bus in the town. Similar reports were received in Potenza before Claps disappeared in 1993.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but