The pope defended priestly celibacy on Friday after a series of pedophile priest scandals rekindled debate on the Church’s policy as the head of Germany’s Catholics again apologized to victims.
Speaking ahead of a meeting with the German Catholic Church’s leader, Pope Benedict XVI stressed that celibacy is “the sign of full devotion” and of an “entire commitment to the Lord”.
“The value of sacred celibacy, which in the Latin Church is ... required for ordination [of priests], is held in great regard by Eastern Churches,” he added at a theological convention.
PHOTO: AFP
The pope’s comments came a day after Archbishop of Vienna Christoph Schoenborn called for an unflinching examination of the possible roots of child sex abuse by priests, saying it should include the issue of priestly celibacy.
Another of Austria’s most senior clerics, the Archbishop of Salzburg Alois Kothgasser, also said the Catholic Church must ask itself whether celibacy is still an appropriate way of life for priests.
“In the Church’s current situation, the question must be asked whether celibacy is an appropriate way of life for priests and an appropriate way of life for believers,” Kothgasser told ORF public television. “Times have changed and society has changed.”
A proliferation of abuse scandals across Europe has prompted deep soul searching among Church leaders, not least in Benedict’s native Germany where 19 of the 27 dioceses have been implicated in allegations.
The flood of revelations began in late January when an elite Jesuit school in Berlin admitted systematic sexual abuse of pupils by two priests in the 1970s and 1980s. A school attached to a cathedral in Regensburg where Benedict’s brother was choir master was among those later implicated.
Speaking after his meeting with Benedict in the Vatican, Germany’s top Catholic cleric issued a new apology to all those who had been affected and announced the creation of a watchdog to counter abuses.
“I want to repeat here in Rome the apology that I made two weeks ago,” Archbishop Robert Zollitsch of Freiburg told a news conference in the Vatican.
He said the pope had praised “the steps taken by the German Bishops Conference [including] the naming of a bishop as a special counsel” who would act as a watchdog on the issue of the sexual abuse of children.
Most of the priests concerned are not expected to face criminal charges because the alleged crimes took place too long ago, but there have been growing calls for a change in the law and for the Church to pay compensation.
Meanwhile, the pope once helped get housing for a clergyman suspected of child sex abuse, it emerged on Friday.
Pope Benedict’s former diocese of Munich confirmed a report that, as an archbishop in 1980, the pontiff approved housing for the priest, who was to undergo therapy.
The priest — identified only as H — had been accused of forcing an 11-year-old boy to perform oral sex, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper reported.
“It was decided in 1980 to give H. accommodation in a rectory so that he could receive therapy. The archbishop [Pope Benedict] took part in this decision,” the German diocese of Munich and Freising said in a statement.
Six years later, the priest was given a suspended prison sentence for child sex offences. The archdiocese said he still works in Bavaria, with no known repeat violations.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver