Cuba began its biggest military maneuvers in five years on Thursday, saying they were needed to prepare for a possible invasion by the US.
Despite a thaw in US-Cuba relations and assurances last week by US President Barack Obama that the US has no intention of invading the island 145km from Florida, Cuba’s state-run press quoted military leaders as saying there “exists a real possibility of a military aggression against Cuba.”
The war games, which are being called “Bastion 2009,” also will get the military ready to deal with social unrest the US may try to foment in this time of economic crisis in Cuba, ahead of an invasion, they said.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Cuban television showed images of tanks firing their guns as they rolled through the countryside, artillery batteries blasting away, camouflaged troops digging trenches and shooting bazookas, attack helicopters and fighter jets buzzing through the sky and rescue teams tending wounded combatants.
It was not clear if the images came from Thursday’s maneuvers or from file footage of previous activities, nor were the sites of the war games disclosed.
Tanks and anti-aircraft guns were seen on trains outside of Havana on Thursday being prepared for transport to an unknown destination. In the evening news broadcast, Cuban President Raul Castro was shown urging Cubans to fight until they have vanquished the enemy.
“The objective is to never surrender, to never stop fighting,” he said in a meeting with military leaders.
“Fight and fight until we exhaust the enemy and defeat it,” said Castro, who was Cuba’s defense minister before succeeding his ailing brother Fidel Castro as president last year.
The maneuvers, which end today and will involve 100,000 soldiers and reservists, are taking place at a time when relations between the US and Cuba have warmed under Obama after five decades of hostility.
He has slightly eased the 47-year-old US trade embargo against the country and initiated talks on migration and postal service, but based further progress on Cuba releasing political prisoners and improving rights.
Raul Castro has said Cuba is open to better relations, but will make no unilateral concessions to the US.
In a written response to questions from Cuban dissident blogger Yoani Sanchez last week, Obama said: “The United States has no intention of using military force in Cuba.”
However, Cuban military leaders have insisted in state-run press that Bastion 2009 is “a necessity of the first order in the current political-military situation that characterizes the confrontation between Cuba and the empire [the US].”
They appeared to signal disgruntlement with Obama, whose election brought high hopes of change in the country, saying the embargo goes on and he has not removed Cuba from the US list of “terrorist” countries.
History is also a factor. Cuba, fresh from the 1959 revolution that put Fidel Castro in power, fended off a US-backed invasion by Cuban exiles at the Bay of Pigs in 1961 and has remained on high alert for another ever since.
At the height of the Cold War, Cuba entered into an alliance with the Soviet Union and received military support until the former superpower collapsed in 1991.
The alliance almost brought the world to the brink of nuclear war in 1962 when the Soviets placed nuclear missiles on the island, prompting a showdown with the US that became known as the Cuban missile crisis.
The tense confrontation ended peacefully when the Soviets withdrew the missiles in exchange for a US pledge to never invade Cuba and, it was later revealed, pull its own missiles from Turkey.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver