Cuban President Raul Castro is taking a bold gamble to ease the nation’s cash crunch by eliminating a costly government lunch program that feeds almost a third of the population every workday.
The government is desperate to improve its budget outlook; the global economy is slack and Havana is very hard pressed to secure international financing.
Raul Castro, 76, officially took over as Cuba’s president in February last year after his brother, revolutionary icon Fidel Castro, stepped aside with health problems.
Though some wondered if Raul Castro would try to move Cuba’s centralized economy toward more market elements, so far he has sought to boost efficiency and cut corruption and waste without reshaping the economic system. And so far it has been an uphill battle, something akin to treading water.
But now, Raul Castro has moved to set in motion what will likely be the biggest rollback of an entitlement since Cuba’s 1959 revolution — starting to put an end to the daily lunch program for state workers, as announced Friday in Granma, the Cuban Communist Party newspaper.
In a country where workers earn the average of US$17 a month, and state subsidized monthly food baskets are not enough for families, more than 3.5 million government employees — out of a total population of 11.2 million — benefit from the free meal.
The pricetag is a cool US$350 million a year, not counting energy costs or facilities maintenance, Granma said. But that will come to a halt in four ministries experimentally from Thursday, the newspaper said.
As workers stream to the 24,700 state lunchrooms, the government “is faced with extremely high state spending due to extremely high international market prices, infinite subsidies and freebies,” Granma said.
Parallel to the cutback, workers will see their salaries boosted by 15 pesos a workday (US$0.60) to cover their lunch.
It is a dramatic shift in Cuba, where the government workers’ lunchroom has been among the longest-standing subsidies, though even authorities have called it paternalistic.
And more troubling, especially for authorities, is the fact that the lunchrooms’ kitchens have become a source of economic hemorrhaging, from which workers unabashedly make off with tonnes of rice, beans, chicken and cooking oil to make ends meet.
The Castro government is keen to reduce theUS$2.5 billion a year it spends on food imports, which it has to buy on the international market in hard currency.
“Nobody can go on indefinitely spending more than they earn. Two and two are four, never five. In our imperfect socialism, too often two plus two turn out to be three,” Raul Castro said in an Aug.1 address alluding to corruption problems.
Some Cubans were aghast at the idea of losing a free lunch.
“What am I going to buy with 15 pesos,” asked a bank worker, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “I cannot even make anything, even something horrible, at home for that little.”
But Roberto Reyes, a construction employee, said sometimes the state lunch is so bad, he would rather not eat it — and pocket the small monthly raise.
Raul Castro has said health care and education were not cuts he would willingly make. But Cubans wonder how long it will be until the monthly ration books with which Cubans receive limited basic food goods, such as rice and beans, for free, come under the budget axe.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but