South Korea pressed North Korea yesterday to explain a deadly surge in a river flowing across the border from the North that killed three South Koreans and left three others missing.
The Imjin River suddenly doubled in height on Sunday, sweeping away six people camping and fishing near the border dividing the two Koreas.
South Korean officials suspect the estimated 40 million tonnes of water came from a new North Korean dam — one that some in the South had warned the North could use as a weapon.
The South Korean government demanded an explanation in a message sent to North Korea yesterday, Unification Ministry spokesman Chun Hae-sung said.
“We demand that North Korea provide advance notice if it plans to discharge waters in the future,” he said.
South Korean and US officials were investigating why the North might funnel such a large amount of water to the South, but there were no immediate signs the move was meant as an attack, South Korean Defense Ministry spokesman Won Tae-jae told reporters.
DELIBERATE?
There were concerns the flooding incident, if deliberate, might indicate another turn in the recently thawing relations between the two Koreas.
North Korea and South Korea technically remain in a state of war, divided by a heavily militarized border, because their three-year conflict in the 1950s ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.
Relations blossomed under the “Sunshine Policy” espoused by two liberal South Korean administrations but went cold after the election of conservative South Korean President Lee Myung-bak after 18 months ago.
Pyongyang recently reached out to Seoul again, and the two Koreas agreed to restart joint economic projects and resume the reunions of families divided during the Korean War.
Despite the overtures, “this is not something that we can overlook,” the JoongAng Ilbo newspaper said in an editorial yesterday.
It warned that South Korea would suffer “unimaginable damage” if the North uses the dam for military purposes.
On Sunday morning, the river’s water level jumped from 2.3m to 4.6m, Gyeonggi Province official Choi Kwon-rak said.
He said there was no natural cause for flooding since it had not rained in the area for several days.
Rescuers found three bodies early yesterday and were searching for three others, local fire official Hwang Tae-geun said. Some 2,500 rescuers and army soldiers were mobilized yesterday, he said. The area is less than 10km from the border.
There was no mention of the incident in North Korea’s official Korean Central News Agency.
CONCERNS
South Korean officials have raised concerns that the Hwanggang Dam could cause water shortages or flooding in the South, with some concerned the dam could be used as a weapon. Unification Ministry officials said South Korea conveyed such concerns to North Korea during talks in 2006 and 2007, but the North has not responded.
Construction of the dam, believed aimed at channeling water to a hydroelectric plant and for crop irrigation, was about 95 percent complete early last year, according to South Korean government estimates. The dam is believed to have a capacity of 400 million tonnes of water.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver