At least five people died when a cliff collapsed onto a packed beach in southern Portugal, officials said on Friday, as rescuers using pickaxes and mechanical diggers searched the rubble for victims.
The five dead included a 60-year-old man who suffered a cardiac arrest, a woman, 38, who died of her injuries in hospital, and three other women, two under 25 and one in her fifties, said the Portuguese emergency services.
The nationalities of the victims were not yet known.
PHOTO: AFP
“The Civil Protection authority is continuing to remove victims,” the statement said.
Another three people who had been caught by the falling rubble were hospitalized with serious injuries, the statement said.
Police officers and firefighters were still searching for people who might be trapped under the debris at Albufeira, an Algarve resort popular with local and foreign tourists as well as celebrities.
The authorities, however, could not give a figure for the number that might be missing and the search was hampered by the afternoon high tide, which left most of the beach underwater.
People on the beach described the panic after a massive crash and huge clouds of dust engulfed holidaymakers, said a report by the Portuguese Lusa news agency.
“Part of the cliff came down around noon,” one witness told the agency. “Rocks crashed onto the beach up to the sea causing great panic.”
Another witness, who gave his name as Joaquim Ribeiro, said he saw a “a huge wave of dust, followed by a deafening noise.”
“It was like a plane crashing, people started screaming,” he said.
Police cordoned off the beach, several kilometers from the town center. TV channels showed mechanical diggers and bulldozers clearing sand and rocks from the beach.
A medical station treated people with minor injuries and a psychological support team was also on hand, the Civil Protection authority said.
Portuguese President Anibal Cavaco Silva, on holiday in the area, visited the beach for a first-hand assessment of the situation.
Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Socrates cleared his desk to travel to the scene and Portuguese Interior Minister Rui Pereira was also due to join them.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but