International companies are fueling the conflict in eastern Congo by not checking the origins of the minerals they buy, a human rights group said.
Some companies that source minerals in electronics such as mobile phones and computers purchase the materials from traders who work with rebels and soldiers who exploit civilians in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Global Witness said in a report relased on Tuesday.
“All the warring parties in the DRC are systematically using forced labor and violent extortion in mining areas,” said Patrick Alley, director of the group, which focuses on natural resources-related conflicts.
The group called on companies trading in minerals from Congo to make sure they aren’t funding rebels and called on governments to cut off rebel access to mines and international trade networks.
The report specifically names the Thailand Smelting and Refining Corp (Thaisarco), the world fifth largest tin-producing company, owned by British metals giant Amalgamated Metal Corp (AMC), British company Afrimex, and several Belgian companies, including Trademet and Traxys.
Global Witness also said that governments, including the UK and Belgium, are undermining their own development assistance and diplomatic efforts to end the 12-year conflict by failing to crack down on companies based within their borders.
The conflict in eastern Congo has been fueled by festering ethnic hatred left over from the 1994 slaughter of a half-million Tutsis in Rwanda, and Congo’s 1996-2002 civil wars, which drew neighboring countries in a rush to plunder Congo’s mineral wealth.
“Many mining areas in eastern DRC are controlled by rebels and the national army, who violently exploit civilians to retain access to valuable minerals, including cassiterite [tin ore], coltan and gold,” the 110-page report said.
Cassiterite and coltan are used to make mobile phones, computers and other electronics.
AMC denied the claims by Global Witness, saying it followed guidance on trade in the region set by the UN. The company said it has been taking part in an initiative since July 1 to trace the source of tin minerals from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
“Both AMC and Thaisarco have always sought to comply with the requirements and recommendations of the UN in respect of minerals originating in the DRC,” the statement said.
The industry-wide measures were launched this month, after the Global Witness report was completed, calling for more transparency of the mineral supply chain.
“If the UN were to decide that a withdrawal from the trade is the most appropriate way forward, then Thaisarco would comply absolutely with their requirements,” the statement said.
The company argued, however, that withdrawing would devastate local workers economically.
Congolese government spokesman Lambert Mende said officials were committed to fighting against corruption and that a commission had been set up to investigate.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told