Colombian rebels on Saturday turned down a proposal from the government to unilaterally free 24 hostages held for years in secret jungle camps, saying the deal would have to be part of a prisoner swap.
Earlier this month, Colombian President Alvaro Uribe bowed to guerrilla demands that leftist Senator Piedad Cordoba help mediate the release of kidnap victims. Uribe authorized Cordoba on the condition that all 24 soldiers and police officers held by the rebels be freed at the same time.
A letter was released from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) on Saturday saying it was willing to free two of the hostages, but the rest would only be released as part of an exchange for guerrillas held in government jails.
The FARC letter, addressed to Cordoba and released to the media, says the Marxist rebel group is willing to negotiate a swap “that will permit the liberation of prisoners of war held by the state and by the guerrillas.”
Uribe, first elected in 2002, is popular for making Colombia’s cities and highways safer as part of his US-backed military crackdown on the 45-year-old insurgency.
He is unlikely to accept FARC’s terms, considering his longstanding position that the guerrillas must call a ceasefire in order to set the stage for any talks.
“Uribe wants to see the 24 released unilaterally. That is not likely to change,” said Leon Valencia, an expert on Colombia’s conflict and himself a former guerrilla.
One of the two soldiers the FARC said it is willing to free over the short term is Pablo Moncayo, held since 1997. His father has led a campaign for the release of kidnap victims, draping himself in chains and walking throughout Colombia.
Uribe, whose own father was killed in a botched FARC kidnapping more than 20 years ago, could run for re-election next year if his supporters succeed in changing the constitution to allow him to campaign for an unprecedented third term.
While the cocaine-financed FARC is widely despised for its practice of kidnapping, Uribe’s popularity remains at about 70 percent despite a series of scandals linking some of his closest political allies to violent right-wing paramilitaries.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver