A failure by US forces to follow procedures in air strikes last month in Afghanistan “likely” caused the death of at least 26 civilians, the US military said.
An internal investigation of a May 4 battle with Taliban insurgents in western Afghanistan found US air crews and ground troops acted in line with the laws of armed conflict, but three air strikes by a B-1 bomber failed to adhere to US combat rules and orders.
“Not applying all of that guidance likely resulted in civilian casualties,” said a summary of the military probe released on Friday.
The report recommended tactics and combat rules in the Afghan war be revised to avoid civilian casualties, but did not call for prosecution of any US military personnel.
The investigation found that 78 Taliban fighters were killed and 26 civilians died in the incident, but said it was possible that a higher number of civilians were killed.
The Kabul government has put the civilian toll at 140.
The incident has fueled public anger at the NATO-led coalition and prompted Afghan President Hamid Karzai to demand a halt in air strikes.
US and NATO officials have grown increasingly concerned about the effect of civilian casualties on the war effort, as insurgents have sought to exploit the incidents to sow distrust of foreign troops. The report, issued by US Central Command, described an intense battle over several hours with Afghan security forces calling for assistance from a team of US Marines near the village of Gerani in Farah Province.
The Marines had tried to persuade Afghan authorities to hold off on moving against about 300 Taliban that had threatened local villagers, suggesting more time was needed to fully plan an operation, it said.
But the Afghan security forces went ahead and soon had to call the Marines for assistance.
Scrambling to rescue Afghan forces pinned down by insurgent gunfire and secure the evacuation of wounded soldiers, the Marines called in air power. A first wave of strikes by F/A-18 fighter jets hit intended targets apparently without causing civilian casualties, the report said. After nightfall, a B-1 Lancer bomber was called in to relieve the F/A-18s and carried out three strikes using 500lb (226kg) and 2,000lb bombs.
In two of the three raids, the bombing likely caused civilian deaths, the report said.
In both cases, air crews and the ground commander believed they were targeting insurgent forces in buildings based on intelligence reports, even though the groups of adults they targeted in the darkness had not fired on them.
Neither the ground force commander or the bomber crew “could confirm the presence or absence of civilians already in the building,” the report said.
In the third strike, the crew of the bomber and ground commander spotted a group of adults that they suspected were Taliban forces “moving rapidly in the dark across difficult terrain in an evenly-spaced formation.”
The ground commander ordered the B-1 bomber to hit a building where he believed the insurgents had moved. The aircraft then dropped a 2,000lb bomb on the target.
“The inability to discern the presence of civilians and assess the potential collateral damage of those strikes is inconsistent with the US government’s objective of providing security and safety for the Afghan people,” the report said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver