Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak said on Monday it was unlikely the government would cooperate with a UN investigation into possible war crimes committed during Israel’s offensive against Gaza’s Hamas rulers.
Barak said UN investigators would not be able to penetrate Hamas’ “terrorist operations” to question those responsible for launching thousands of rockets into Israel. This meant the probe would not reach an “unbiased conclusion,” he said.
“Knowing the procedures by which such operations are taken, I don’t think Israel has to — or will — cooperate with this interrogation,” he said.
PHOTO: AP
The rocket launches led to the three-week offensive earlier this year.
Barak’s comments to reporters after meeting UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday came as the 15-member investigation team from the UN Human Rights Council, led by veteran war crimes prosecutor Richard Goldstone, arrived in Gaza City.
Barak acknowledged that Goldstone “personally has a lot of respect all around the world.”
He said he and Ban discussed Mideast issues as well as North Korea’s nuclear test and the Pakistani military offensive in the Swat Valley.
He expressed Israel’s intention to support international efforts to help move the peace process in the region forward, he said.
Barack said Israel also expects the UN and world community to “exert all influence” to accelerate talks to obtain the release of Sergeant Gilad Shalit, an Israeli soldier captured by Hamas-linked Palestinian militants in a 2006 cross-border raid from the Gaza Strip.
Barak was scheduled to fly to Washington yesterday for talks with US special envoy to the Middle East George Mitchell and other senior officials in US President Barack Obama’s administration.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is sending Barak to Washington in hopes of winning approval to allow at least limited construction to continue in Israeli settlements in the West Bank, apparently in exchange for removing outposts.
Netanyahu on Monday rejected the US demand for a settlement freeze as unreasonable, but the Obama administration has so far signaled it is not willing to budge.
Barak was asked on Monday whether Israel would freeze settlements to preserve its relationship with the US, and to comment on attacks Monday by Jewish settlers against Palestinians after the Israeli government’s removal of several squatter camps.
“Probably towards the end of my [Washington] visit, I will be better equipped to answer your question,” he said.
Netanyahu has refused to agree to negotiations on the creation of a Palestinian state, which the US wants.
When the Israeli prime minister went to the White House last month, Obama urged him to grasp the “historic opportunity” to make peace with the Palestinians.
Barak was asked to state clearly whether Israel supports a two-state solution in which Israel and the Palestinians would live side by side in peace.
The previous government had agreed to the road map to Mideast peace unveiled by the UN, the US, the EU and Russia in 2003.
“Israel looks for making peace with our neighbors,” Barak said. “The present government already announced ... that it accepts and confirms all agreements signed by previous Israeli governments and I believe this answers your question.”
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver