The UN called the killing of hundreds of ethnic Tamil civilians in a weekend artillery attack in northern Sri Lanka a “bloodbath” amid reports yesterday that the war zone was heavily shelled for a second straight night.
The initial artillery attack — which lasted from Saturday evening into Sunday morning — killed at least 378 civilians and wounded more than 1,000 more, a health official inside rebel-controlled territory said.
A rebel-linked Web site blamed the attack on the government, while the military accused the beleaguered Tamil Tigers of briefly shelling their own territory to gain international sympathy and force a ceasefire.
PHOTO: AFP
About 6pm on Sunday, a new round of shelling pounded the area, according to a government health official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.
The TamilNet Web site said many more civilians were killed in the second attack and that the death toll from the two days of violence was likely in the thousands.
Reports of the fighting are difficult to verify because the government bars journalists and aid workers from the war zone, but the UN confirmed a heavy toll from the first attack over the weekend.
“The UN has consistently warned against the bloodbath scenario as we’ve watched the steady increase in civilian deaths over the last few months,” UN spokesman Gordon Weiss said yesterday. “The large-scale killing of civilians over the weekend, including the deaths of more than 100 children, shows that that bloodbath has become a reality.”
UN figures compiled last month showed that nearly 6,500 civilians had been killed in three months this year as the government drove the rebels out of their strongholds in the north and vowed to end the war.
About 50,000 civilians are crowded into the 4km long strip of coast along with the separatists, who have been fighting for 25 years for a homeland for minority Tamils.
The government has brushed off international calls for a humanitarian truce, saying any pause in the fighting would give the rebels time to regroup.
The initial attack began on Saturday evening soon after a Red Cross ship that had been evacuating wounded civilians left the war zone, health officials said.
Artillery pounded the area throughout the night, forcing thousands to huddle in makeshift bunkers, said V. Shanmugarajah, a health official in the region.
Hours after the attack, the dead and wounded continued to pour into the hospital, he said.
As of Sunday afternoon, the bodies of 378 civilians had been brought in and were being buried by volunteers, but the death toll was likely far higher since many families buried their dead where they fell, he said.
TamilNet said rescue workers had counted 1,200 civilians killed in the attack. The Web site initially reported that the rebels’ military spokesman, Rasiah Ilanthirayan, was among the dead, but later said only that he was seriously wounded.
Bodies were laid out in rows on the mud outside the hospital, some of their faces covered with mats and sheets, according to photos from the area. One small boy was stripped to the waist, his head covered in a bloody bandage and his mouth agape.
The hospital was struggling to cope with the 1,122 wounded civilians amid a shortage of physicians, nurses and aides made treatment difficult, Shanmugarajah said.
More than half the hospital staff did not turn up for work because their homes were attacked and many of the wounded went untreated for more than 24 hours, said the other health official, who declined to be named.
Suresh Premachandran, an ethnic Tamil lawmaker, said the assault was the deadliest attack on civilians since the 1983 anti-Tamil riots that killed as many as 2,000 people and helped trigger the civil war.
“In the name of eliminating terrorism, the Sri Lankan government massacres its own citizens. It is absolutely unacceptable,” he said, calling for the international community to intervene.
TamilNet also blamed the attack on the Sri Lankan forces, which rights groups have accused of bombing and shelling the war zone despite its pledge to stop using heavy weapons.
The Sri Lankan military denied firing the artillery and said they witnessed the rebels firing mortar shells from one corner of the coastal strip into another section heavily populated with civilians for one hour on Sunday morning.
“I think the LTTE [Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam] is now trying to use these people as their last weapon to show the world that the army is firing indiscriminately and stop this offensive,” military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara said.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver