Masked assailants attacked a wedding ceremony in southeastern Turkey with automatic weapons, killing 44 people, including the bride and groom, and wounding six others. Two girls survived after the bodies of slain friends fell on top of them.
Turkish Interior Minister Besir Atalay said yesterday security forces had detained eight suspected gunmen following the attack in the village of Bilge, near the city of Mardin, the previous evening.
The attack appeared to be the result of a blood feud and not a terrorist attack, Atalay said. Blood feuds are common among families in the region where tribal ties and rivalries sometimes eclipse the power of the state.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Private NTV television, citing Deputy Governor Ferhat Ozen, said the motive for the attack could be a feud between rival groups of pro-government village guards who fight alongside Turkish troops against Kurdish rebels in the region. If that is the case, the government would come under renewed pressure to rein in the militiamen, some of whom have been linked to crimes such as drug smuggling.
Atalay had earlier said the attack had left 45 dead, but later corrected the toll to 44 dead. He said the dead included six children.
Mardin Mayor Mehmet Besir Ayanoglu told Channel 24 that he spoke to two girls who said at least two masked men stormed a house where the wedding took place.
“They raided the house, we were in two rooms, they opened fire on everyone, they were wearing masks,”’ Ayanoglu quoted the girls as saying.
The girls said they lay underneath the bodies of friends until the attack was over.
The attack occurred during the wedding of the daughter of Cemil Celebi, a former village official who was among the wounded. The bride, Sevgi Celebi, the groom, Habib Ari, his mother and sister were all killed, as was the Islamic cleric who was presiding over the marriage. The Anatolia news agency said the attack lasted for 15 minutes.
Ahmet Can, a relative who took the body of his nephew to a hospital, said the site of the attack was horrifying.
“You could not believe your eyes, it is unbelievable,” he told Turkey’s Channel 24.
Earlier reports said the assailants hurled hand grenades but local official Aytac Akgul said they had attacked with automatic weapons only.
The attack killed an entire family, including the parents and their six children, aged between three and 12.
A 19-year-old survivor said the assailants ordered people to huddle in one room and opened fire, NTV said. Another report said the attack occurred when people were praying at the house.
Ambulances took at least 17 bodies to the morgue of a hospital in Mardin, said Aytac Akgul, a local official. Hundreds of relatives of the victims gathered there, wailing in distress. Several people offered to donate blood.
State TV said soldiers surrounded the village and cut all roads leading to it. It said there was no power in the village and it could not be reached by telephone. Journalists were barred from traveling to Bilge.
For years, Turkey has struggled over how to trim the 70,000-strong village guard force without releasing masses of trained fighters onto the streets of the southeast, where unemployment in some areas reaches 50 percent.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
Japan unveiled a plan on Thursday to evacuate around 120,000 residents and tourists from its southern islets near Taiwan within six days in the event of an “emergency”. The plan was put together as “the security situation surrounding our nation grows severe” and with an “emergency” in mind, the government’s crisis management office said. Exactly what that emergency might be was left unspecified in the plan but it envisages the evacuation of around 120,000 people in five Japanese islets close to Taiwan. China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has stepped up military pressure in recent years, including
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but