Rwandan troops began pulling out of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) on Wednesday, bringing to an end a joint military operation that temporarily saw the sworn enemies fighting for the same cause.
DR Congo allowed Rwandan troops to enter Congolese soil late last month in order to hunt down the remnants of an extremist Hutu militia accused of orchestrating the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of Tutsis during Rwanda’s 1994 genocide.
At the end of the 100-day slaughter, the Hutu fighters fled across DR Congo’s border, setting up bases in the country’s forested hills.
PHOTO: AFP
Lieutenant-General John Numbi, who headed the operation, said the month-long offensive had been a success, even if members of the militia were still at large.
Numbi, a Congolese, said at a military parade marking the end of the operation: “The enemy has not been completely wiped out, but their ability to operate has been greatly reduced.”
He said 153 Hutu combatants were killed, 37 were captured and 103 were repatriated to Rwanda.
Rwanda has long accused DR Congo of offering refuge to the Hutu militia and twice invaded the country in the 1990s, plunging the Central African nation into war. DR Congo, in turn, has accused Rwanda of funding a Tutsi-led rebel group. The group, based in eastern DR Congo, said its aim was to stamp out the Hutu extremists, but instead they have been accused of atrocities on Congolese civilians.
That DR Congo allowed Rwanda to enter its territory marked a major turning point.
Analysts say one of the key reasons DR Congo acquiesced is because Rwanda promised to arrest Laurent Nkunda, the warlord heading the Tutsi rebel group. He was arrested Jan. 22 by the Rwandan military, two days after an estimated 4,000 Rwandan troops entered DR Congo.
Nkunda had long been rumored to be a puppet of the Rwanda’s Tutsi-led government and the relationship between the two was detailed in a recent UN report.
Meanwhile, the withdrawal has stoked fears that Hutu rebels will step up reprisals against civilians and retake ground they lost during the offensive.
The operation has seen the most concerted pressure on the rebels in years but diplomats question whether it will end years of violence. Thousands of rebels remain in the bush, farming, mining and living off local villagers.
The pullout has prompted fears within the UN’s biggest peacekeeping force that the mainly Hutu Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) rebels, who have mostly avoided clashes with the joint force, will seek revenge.
“The planned pullout of [Rwandan] troops raises concerns about the protection of the civilian population, given the limited capacity and professionalism of [Congolese] troops,” an internal UN memorandum read.
“Although the FDLR has mostly vacated the areas upon the arrival of the joint forces, it is likely that they are waiting in the bush for the forces to retreat and then come back to retaliate on civilians perceived as being traitors,” it said.
The UN is investigating numerous attacks on civilians blamed on the FDLR. New York-based Human Rights Watch says the the rebels have massacred more than 100 civilians accused of betraying them since the start of the operations on Jan. 20.
A fire caused by a burst gas pipe yesterday spread to several homes and sent a fireball soaring into the sky outside Malaysia’s largest city, injuring more than 100 people. The towering inferno near a gas station in Putra Heights outside Kuala Lumpur was visible for kilometers and lasted for several hours. It happened during a public holiday as Muslims, who are the majority in Malaysia, celebrate the second day of Eid al-Fitr. National oil company Petronas said the fire started at one of its gas pipelines at 8:10am and the affected pipeline was later isolated. Disaster management officials said shutting the
US Vice President J.D. Vance on Friday accused Denmark of not having done enough to protect Greenland, when he visited the strategically placed and resource-rich Danish territory coveted by US President Donald Trump. Vance made his comment during a trip to the Pituffik Space Base in northwestern Greenland, a visit viewed by Copenhagen and Nuuk as a provocation. “Our message to Denmark is very simple: You have not done a good job by the people of Greenland,” Vance told a news conference. “You have under-invested in the people of Greenland, and you have under-invested in the security architecture of this
UNREST: The authorities in Turkey arrested 13 Turkish journalists in five days, deported a BBC correspondent and on Thursday arrested a reporter from Sweden Waving flags and chanting slogans, many hundreds of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Saturday rallied in Istanbul, Turkey, in defence of democracy after the arrest of Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu which sparked Turkey’s worst street unrest in more than a decade. Under a cloudless blue sky, vast crowds gathered in Maltepe on the Asian side of Turkey’s biggest city on the eve of the Eid al-Fitr celebration which started yesterday, marking the end of Ramadan. Ozgur Ozel, chairman of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), which organized the rally, said there were 2.2 million people in the crowd, but
JOINT EFFORTS: The three countries have been strengthening an alliance and pressing efforts to bolster deterrence against Beijing’s assertiveness in the South China Sea The US, Japan and the Philippines on Friday staged joint naval drills to boost crisis readiness off a disputed South China Sea shoal as a Chinese military ship kept watch from a distance. The Chinese frigate attempted to get closer to the waters, where the warships and aircraft from the three allied countries were undertaking maneuvers off the Scarborough Shoal — also known as Huangyan Island (黃岩島) and claimed by Taiwan and China — in an unsettling moment but it was warned by a Philippine frigate by radio and kept away. “There was a time when they attempted to maneuver